Logo

Mercruiser 25W40 Oil

"I don't think anyone said

"I don't think anyone said Sythetic oil doesn't work... I think Eddie and I both agree they work fine. But they cost significantly more with little or no value added... especially in a boat, where oil changes are driven more by time than by mileage due to the nature of the environment.
I could really give a crap if the inside of my valve covers are clean and shiny when the rest of the boat is ready for the scrap heap!"

"I forgot to mention for Bob&#

"I forgot to mention for Bob's sake, some boat engine manufacturers are picky about what oil you use while the engine is under warranty. I don't know of any that require sythetic though. If you're under warranty, it's probably worth a little extra to keep the warranty valid."

DONE IT!!

Changed oil in bo

DONE IT!!

Changed oil in both engines and genset this past weekend. After much cosideration I went with Chevron Dello 400 40wt. Multi-vis only helps when temps are low & boat will never run above idle till they're warm. Never run at all when temps are below 50f!

westerbeke genset maybe should have had slightly thinner oil as they suggest 10w30 between 32&95 but with a 350ci sitting on each side I doubt engine compartment ever gets below 90 when gen is running.

Bob

"GOT 'ER DONE !!

Change

"GOT 'ER DONE !!

Changed oil in engines and generator last weekend. Used Chevron Delo 400 40wt in all three. This is a heavy duty, industrial oil suitable for gas or diesel engines. As Troy stated it the only 4 stroke oil west Marine sells(there are a lot of cheaper places to buy it though). For temps in this area 40wt seems most compatible with Mercruiser's oil weight/temp. charts. May be a little thick for Westerbeke, but with generator setting between two 350 Chevy's I doubt that actual ambient temperature means much in engine compartment.

Bob"

Thanks for the update. I'd

Thanks for the update. I'd feel confident with your choise mostly because you are abiding by the engineering viscosity guide lines. Probably the people advocating 15W-40 would be OK and I like the advantages of multi-viscosity but I'd feel safer with you're decision.

"OK here I go... I used regula

"OK here I go... I used regular 10W-30 in my boat (1987 Regal Sebring w/170) because the oil gets changed so often that it is not a matter of viscosity break down that I am concerned with, I have a 1995 Ford Bronco 5.0L 4X4 that I have used Mobil-1 synthetic 10W-40 in since day one because this is one of my work trucks and is used for pulling my boat. I also have a 1992 Chevrolet Astro cargo van that I use high mileage semi-synthetic 10W-40 because this is my everyday work vehicle. I also have a 2001 Honda CRV that I also used Mobil-1 synthetic 10W-30 in. Here's my logic... Synthetic oil is beneficial in a automobile that has had synthetic oil changes since day one, 0 mileage up to approximatly 35,000 miles. If you start a vehicle on synthetic oil change diet to high in its mileage it CAN cause oil burning issues due to longer viscosity break down and the fact that it tends to be a thin oil when cold and only get thinner when hot. You can get leak-by at the valve stem seals and/or blow by at the rings. Traditional oil tends to be thinker therefore does not "sneak" its way into normal variance locations of an engine. Synthentic oil can also start otherwise none exhistant oil leaks in gasket mated surfaces due to it thinning properties. Here's the breakdown.. Synthetic Oil is good for new to low mileage vehicles while Traditional Oil is better for older or high mileage vehicles.
Now for my creditals to back up what I have stated.. I have been a Master Automotive Technician for over 14 years and have specialized in engine rebuiding at a local Ford dealership for the past 10 years. I have first hand experience dismantling hundreds of engines and rebuilding them. I can tell within 5 minutes of an engine teardown whether has had Traditional vs. Synthetic oil used. Traditional oil DOES gum up and froth inside an engine. Sythetic does not and these engine dismantle easier... cams slip right out, pistons can be pushed out by hand, push rods don't stick to rocker arms or lifters. I hope this helps in this long winded topic for all. Do as you wish, beleive what you may... if it makes you happy, thats all that matters.
Jay
P.S. Ford has been using semi-sythentic oil in the Explorer since 2001 and has been using semi-synthentic in the rest of the vehicles since 2005. General Motors is also doing something similar."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
lol.gif
No just suffering from insomnia... LOL"

Back