Logo

Problems with my 40HP Mercury

M

Marc Brown

"Hi ,I am hoping someone can h

"Hi ,I am hoping someone can help me.I have a 40HP Mercury and I dont have a manual .I am having a problem with the motor .It starts great but it moves forward in nuetral and has no reverse.Im thinking maybe the gear oil has gone but I dont know where to add it.There are lots of little screws and holes and I dont want to add it to the wrong hole.I think the motor is about 10 years old."

The motor has a "rotating&

The motor has a "rotating" splined shift shaft. Maybe the spline coupling was connected "one spline off" when it was put together after a lower unit removal.
Or your cable or linkage might be out of adjustment.
Robert

Thanks for the help .When I st

Thanks for the help .When I start motor in nuetral it acts as though it is in gear.I have no reverse.The handle seems a bit stiff to move forward or back.I know nothing about outboards (just the basics) but Im about to sell this outfit and dont really want to spend the money to get it checked out and fixed .Im hoping for a simple problem.

"Hi!Iam hoping that someone ca

"Hi!Iam hoping that someone can help me out.I have a 1982 40 hp Mariner.When it is in the idle position the engine runs pretty good,spits alittle,but runs pretty good.When I put it in gear and go slow it spits and sputters to no end.When i increse the throttle it comes out of it.I beleive it is in desperate need of a tune up,but i do not have a manual to show me how it is done.I have changed the spark plugs numerous times but it seems there is more to it than that.Any help would be greatly appreciated"

"Bill start a new dicussion, t

"Bill start a new dicussion, top of the page.
if that doesn't help your problem could be several things, timing-sheared key, lean mixture-carb adjustment or crank seal, bad read valve-look at carb at idle and see if fuel is spitting in your face, low compresion, or bad ignition"

Back