Logo

1956 INTERCEPTOR WATER PUMP LOOKS LIKE BOX

bertsboat

"LOOKS LIKE A BOX ON THE FRONT

"LOOKS LIKE A BOX ON THE FRONT BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE. TOOK IT OFF AND THERE IS NO RUBBER IMPELLER. LOOKS HARD TO GET OPEN AND I WILL NOT ATTEMP IT TILL I FIND OUT MORE. IS THERE AN IMPELLER AS WE KNOW IT IN THERE? IT SEEMS TO FREE WHEEL, LIKE A CIRCULATION PUMP. IT IS NOT A JABSCO OR OTHER PUMP LIKE THAT. LOOKS LIKE IT IS PART OF THE INTERCEPTOR CONCERSION. IT FITS NICLY ON THE FRONT OF THE ALUMINIUM OIL PAN.
AM I PLAYING WITH FIRE HERE?
TOOK THE BOAT TO THE RAMP AND IT IS NOT PUMPING ENOUGH WATER TO COOL THE MANIFOLDS. WORKS FINE WITH THE HOSE HOOKED UP. DO YOU THINK THE BOAT HAS TO BE ALL THE WAY OFF THE TRAILER TO WORK? I HAD IT DEEP ENOUGH FOR THE PICK UP TO BE IN BUT IT WAS A FEW INCHES FROM THE WATERLINE. I JUST TOK THE PUMP OFF BUT I WAS THINKING OF PUTING IT BACK ON AND PUTTING IT ALL THE WAY IN THE WATER.
ANY THOUGHTS HERE?
THANKS FOR THE HELP.
BERT
16531.jpg
"

"Sounds like the vanes of the

"Sounds like the vanes of the impeller are history. I like the way they did the manifolds on that motor--no water getting the engine with that design.

Jeff

PS: Don't type with all caps, for that is considered shouting."

"Bert,
You have a Dearbo wate

"Bert,
You have a Dearbo water pump. It was used only on the Interceptor 239 thru 312 ci engines. It is more like a circulating pump than a lift pump. For it to work it would have to be at or bellow the water line. It is possible that I have parts for it, but I would recommend replacing it with a Sherwood pump if it does not work. If you are interested let me know here. The manifolds are the first style that Interceptor used on that engine, I'm pleasantly surprise they lasted this long (fresh water boat)."

"I didn't think it had an

"I didn't think it had an impeller. I took it as far apart as I dared and couls feel metal viens inside. I put it back on and I am going to the water to give it one more try. If it does not work out I will have to install a jabsco however it is so original and complete I hate to do that. I will keep you posted.
Thanks for the post!!!!
16561.jpg

16562.jpg
"

"Is this the water pump you ar

"Is this the water pump you are talking about? My dad has rebuild a few of those and we are actually rebuilding several right now so if you decide to replace it we would probably be interested in the one you have.
62014.jpg
water pump

"I have a Ford V8 inboard(

"I have a Ford V8 inboard( looks like a 351 ) and have a problem that showed up during my last trip to lake Erie. The engine started ok and ran it out about 10 miles and shut it down. When trying to restart found out that water had gotten into the piston area no water in oil.. A ruined fishing trip.

Can anyone out there give any information as to what is causing this and the fix.Need something A.S.A.P.

Thanking you in advance.

George in Pa. Please send any repair information and if possible water cooling scamatic.

[email protected]"

Back