Logo

1989 Johnson 120 water pump Joe Help

S

Sammy Evans

"I need some help in removing

"I need some help in removing the lower unit and replacing the water pump on my 1989 Johnson 120hp engine. I would be grateful for any help, tips or tricks you guys can tell me to make this easy."

"Disconnect the shift cable fr

"Disconnect the shift cable from the engine. Spin the prop and at the same time, put the shift into reverse. Remove the 3/8" hex head shoulder bolt from the top of the shift rod/clevis. After removeing that bolt, move the shift linkage into the forward gear position to keep it out of the way for when you reinstall the lower unit.

Gouge the trim tab with the edge of a screwdriver or your choice of tool so that a mark exists on the tab and the bottom of the cavitation plate. This is to assure that the trim tab is reinstalled exactly where it was previously.

Remove the trim tab and all of the lower unit retaining bolts. The lower unit should now drop away. Note..... If you don't have a service manual, purchase one to avoid expensive mistakes.

Make sure that you do not turn the shift rod from its present adjustment as the height measurement is quite critical."

Back