Logo

Crusader 270 with Quadrajet carbs

"I have a 77 Carver with Crusa

"I have a 77 Carver with Crusader 270's. Carbs are Quadrajet's. One of the chokes is not hooked up to the choke plate linkage, if I hook it up it startes very hard and barely runs. If I keep it unhooked it starts great. I am thinking of changing chokes to electric type. While doing this I thought I may rebuild them also to hopefully improve fule useage. Any thoughts would be helpfull. Thanks."

"Steve,

My opinion is "

"Steve,

My opinion is "if it's not broken, don't fix it". The choke is obviously not needed for your usage or you would have trouble with cold starts. It sounds as though the choke stack is in need of replacing, or at least adjusting if you wish to reconnect it. If you are competant enough to rebuild Quadrajets and are looking for something to do, then have at it. Otherwise, you may be opening a can of worms. Unless you believe your engines are not running correctly, it is unlikely you will gain any economy with a rebuild.

Good luck
Rick"

"Steve,
Unless you are in a

"Steve,
Unless you are in a colder climate or do not use your engines for long periods of time, you really do not need the choke. Just give it a few extra primes and they will always start for you. Jon"

"I agree with Rick that overha

"I agree with Rick that overhauling a Rochester Quadrajet could be a can of worms. But to add to it. I have replaced them with Holly Marine Double Pumpers with gained economy and power and they come with electric chokes. The retrofit is much easier than overhauling a Quadrajet. The cost is about $600. US per carb, not including labor and they can be purchased through Napa using your current carb number for cross reference. I know that some people have a preference on carbs and it is not worth getting into a debate about it, but Holly is simple and effective with noticeable performance gains. If you don’t want go the expense then putting electric choke on is very simple. Just because the choke is not needed in your climate does not mean that if the boat sold that it will not be moved to a colder area."

Back