Logo

Question on mariner charging

willard

Regular Contributor
1989 V6 mariner marthon.
It q

1989 V6 mariner marthon.
It quit charging. Is The recitfier and regulator located in the same pack.
I tested the leads like in the book and it came up good.
If the regulator is bad how would I test it to make sure before I drop this 400 bucks.
I tested at the battery to and no out put.

"Im not an expert, but before

"Im not an expert, but before spending any money I would suggest trying to charge the battery on a plug in charger and see if it holds a charge. It could just be that your battery is toast."

"Most outboard rect/regulators

"Most outboard rect/regulators are a one piece item. A good indicator that it is bad is that you tach doesn't work. Have you noticed that? If it tested good according to the book then I owuld look elsewhere. Have your battery tested or replace it with one you know is goos and the run tests. Do you have a voltmeter in the dash. If so, what does it read while running? If it's older that a few years, it probably needs replacing."

Thanks guys I have had the bat

Thanks guys I have had the battery tested and its not putting out any volts at the battery cable ends.
My amp gauge at the dash is sitting still.
I have done every test known to me and I am still comming up with a question as could the voltage regulator be bad and the recetfier be good.

"Hey, Jeff, that's one nea

"Hey, Jeff, that's one neat looking boat you got there! What type is it, and what's pushing it?

The Other Jeff"

"To answer your question, yes

"To answer your question, yes the regulator can be bad but if it's in the same pack there's nothing you can do but change it as a whole unit. The rectifier part could also be bad. The condition such as yours with a bad battery can overload a diode in the rectifier causing it to open. Did you test the stator? Also dash ampmeters aren't the most reliable. Charge the battery and connect a voltmeter to it. Start the engine and run it up to 3000 rpms and see if it is putting out 14 volts. Outboards will not develop good charging until they reach upper rpms."

"Hi Jeff, The boat is a hydrop

"Hi Jeff, The boat is a hydroplane I built from the "MiniMax" plans. Its got a Merc 9.8 on it, so being only 8ft long its pretty fast."

Back