Logo

90 hp mercury 4 stroke 2000 stalls when accelerates

stockman157

I never had any problems with

I never had any problems with my engine till i let it sit for 3 months this winter. I had a mechanic change out the fuel pump and tune up the engine and change the oil. When i first started the engine it sounded diffrent-then when i left the marina it stalled as I accelerated. Usually around 18 on the RPM gage. I called the mechanic and he charged me 150 bucks to tell me that the carberator needed to be replaced--shood he have not known this when he tuned it up?? He said he ran the engine in a tub and it was fine. The engine does run well in neutral--gets plenty of fuel and sounds good all the way up to 60 rpm. I am not mechanically inclined. I have put stabil in the gas and other carb cleaners and have tried to run it clean--it gets up to 28 RPM and seems like its about to cut loose but then stalls--ive been doing this for 3-4 days now. When do i just give up and bite this $800 bullet?? Any suggestions or advice wood really be appreciated.

sounds like high speed jets in

sounds like high speed jets in carbs are plugged remove plastic air box on front of carbs start engine one at a time with ide about 1500-2000 put hand over carb throat or use rag carb will flood forcing fuel through high speed then test if still does it push and hold choke before engine dies if choke recovers engine you need carbs rebuilt if no difference when choke pushed . you may have other problems

disregard message this is very

disregard message this is very hard for the ameture on a four stroke motor you will most likely need to rebuild carbs not replace them should only be 2-$300.00you may also want to go somewhere else

Back