Logo

Changing from an Omc outdrive to a mercruiser

M

mattw

Hey guys I need some assistanc

Hey guys I need some assistance I have an older fiberglass boat with an OMC drive and want to convert it over to a mercruiser. I have everything as far as parts but am not sure of exactly what I need to do as far as plugging the hole and then cutting it back out.. and than aligning everything. Any help would be appreciated..thanks

The OMC drove on the stringers

The OMC drove on the stringers and the MERCRUISER will use the transom. So you need to make sure that the transom is in tip top shape. If it is not you will have alignment problems.Most marinas will have the drilling/cutting fixture to put the new hole in the boat.

"The transom has to be Filled

"The transom has to be Filled with Plywood,+ resins,...
To a thickness of between 2",+ 2 1/8".......

What I've done on several of these conversions is to find a Donor Boat,......
And cut a section out of it's transom that includes the Merc. "Hole",+ enough extra to grind it to Fit the OMC hole......
This is glassed into the New replacement Plug........
Just be sure to include it's Thickness into your calculations on the over all thickness of 2".....

Where,+ how you make it Fit,... Will determine Where your X dimension ends up.....aka, How High, or Low the Prop sits in the Water.....
Try to keep the Cav.Plate just At, or Slightly above the Keel Line........

Then,........
Use the replacement "Skin" which already Has the Merc. "Hole" as a Pattern to cut away the Plywood...........

Hope that makes Some Sense.........."

"I have about a dozen scrap bo

"I have about a dozen scrap boats in my yard with Mercury outdrive holes cut in them. I have removed the drives, engines, etc as I sell parts, not boats. Depending on where you live, I could cut a unit out and ship it to you, at your expense."

Back