Logo

78 402 40hp murcury outboard impellar installation

hammer

"It was as easy as some of you

"It was as easy as some of you guys said it would be. Thanks for the advise and direction. I thought I would leave a few tips and hints that stumped me a bit in the install process. It seems with most forums we get the information we need and never a follow up and "how it worked" responses.

The impeller replacement.....
Found the kit on amazon.com for a whole 13.88. That’s for the pump and impeller kit. The mercury dealer here in Norman OK charges 49.99. Worth the two day wait if you don't need to be on the water tomorrow.

Mine had two 5/8 nuts in the front sides to take off and 2 9/16 in the rear. The side nuts are height sensitive so going back on you must slide the washer and nut into place prior to pushing the prop unit completely together.

I used a soft rubber mallet to gently tap the unit apart. Mine may have been the original impeller and had never been broken apart.
I had no fins left on the sprocket and the rubber was cracked in numerous places.

The unit looks like a small cell phone with the crank shaft protruding out of it. it had four 7/16 nuts only snug fit down on the cover. Its plastic so don't break it. remove those and you will find two gaskets and a metal plate(replace as you remove them/remember how it goes together/I used a blue permanent marker)

I got stumped here. with no manual and nothing to reference I wasn't sure which end of the shaft was going to allow the parts to slide off. The top of the shaft seemed tapered and to wide and the bottom had no set screw or sleeve to remove the shaft out of. After cleaning the unit I found that it wasn't tapered at all. It had a two piece stop that slides off the top and made for an easy remove and install of the new parts. My new pump came with two or three parts that were not for my system so watch your parts and don’t get confused. Never a good felling when you take something apart and have a hand full of "what the hells". The new housing also had a two parts pre installed, use common sense and time, even though it is written on the head of the engine its not rocket science.

The new impeller seemed to be a puzzle. The housing is maybe 2" in diameter and the fins on the impellar are a stiff 21/2. I had to hold the housing in a leather glove for support and twist it into the housing slowly. This is the point it just didn't seem right. I read on a couple of other posts not to grease the fins. Take your time and get all the fins going in the same direction. That will center it on the shaft and allow the set posts and bolts to line up. Yep this is where my confidence level dipped a bit. Also look at the crank shat and see where the "key" is aligned. I had to take out the impellar(pain) and reinstall it to get them to line up properly on the shaft. Approximately 1/3 of a install turn pressing the impellar into the housing. I didn't want to spin the shaft in any way not knowing its impact.

Mine didn't have any gasket sealer on it and appeared to make a good fit so I didn't apply any.

Prior to starting the project I made certain I was in neutral and duct taped the prop to the housing and marked the shafts(crank and gear) so as not to get them out of sorts on reinstall. I had one hell of a time on remount. I was 3/4 of an inch out and figured out it was the gear splines not matching up. The bolts, exhaust, crank shaft, some other tube that I have no clue what is, and the gear cable all have to line up. This is where I enlisted the help of a neighbor. I had the motor unit in the down position and the bottom resting on a floor jack. I just didn't have enough hands to keep it all aligned and gently slide it together. after a good 45 minutes of failed attempts, I realized the splines for the gear cable could be wiggled from the cable out side of the housing. After that it was a cake walk. It seated up perfectly and took it to the boat ramp to see if this was a good idea or not.

Happy to report the stream looks like a two year old after 3 juice boxes or me and six pack. Total time from start to finish about 3 hours (I do a lot of fit and refit and "what the hell is that", so it would take a mechanic an hour tops.

So there is my story of the impeller installation on a 78 model 402 40 hp mercury. I'm not a pro by any stretch so if you have some mechanical skill you can do this. The dealer near me was going to charge 150.00 plus parts 49.99. So I just saved around 180.00.

Feel free to add or reply to this post. Hope it can help someone that is going to attempt it.

Hammer"

"good job. the small tube in f

"good job. the small tube in front goes to a speedo hook-up if you have one. next time grab the drive shaft and spin it clockwise while pushing the water housing over the impeller, a little lube helps too. do it every other year, nothing to it next time"

"Wow, thats cool information.

"Wow, thats cool information. I am new into this and I am having fun with it. I am waiting on a impeller kit for my 6 horse 1967 Merc. I like posts like these."

Thanks for the advice Beckerjs

Thanks for the advice Beckerjs. Good idea on installing the impellar prior to the housing. Is it OK to apply a little white grease to the wall of the housing? I was sooo tempted.

So that tube is for a speedo? Shouldn't need that in my trouting streams. I'll just count the rocks going by.

I hope the post helps in some

I hope the post helps in some way. Not sure if they are in common but it can't be much different. You can do it M D'orazio.

I gotta admit it’s a blast tinkering around off the water and having great fun on the water. Take your time with it and let us know how it goes...

Installing an impeller ranks r

Installing an impeller ranks right up there with easy to do. You put the new impeller onto the shaft. Make sure the key is engaged. Lower the housing down and while turning the driveshaft in the normal direction of engine rotation push the housing down.When you do it this way you will step back and say "that was easy"

"Hammer.
Use soap as lubricat

"Hammer.
Use soap as lubrication. It will not hurt the rubber. I heard that grease/oil can be somewhat harmful to rubber. I guess it depends from the quality of rubber and the time of sitting before first use. I don't know the quality of "impeller rubber", but better be safe than sorry.
By the way, did you know that the "height sensitive" nuts can be used as puller when you are taking off the lower unit?
Also, next time, don't forget to grease spline end on the drive shaft (reduces the wear).

(I think you could do a lot of good as a registered member on this site. Why not register?)

Robert"

"That was easy"
I lik

"That was easy"
I like the way that sounds ssparky...

Robert..

The soap treatment makes perfect sense. Shouldn’t deteriorate the rubber in any way and will allow for great friction reduction. I felt like I was shoving a toy boat into a glass bottle…. For a newbie that’s not a good feeling…

I did lube the top of the shaft with high temp grease. I initially cleaned the entire shaft with lacquer thinner and found the two piece stop that slides off. It was amazing how caked on the grease was and how hard it had become. I don’t think it had been pulled in many years. I then put a thin coat along the shaft to prevent corrosion and got liberal on the splines.

Good idea Robert. Looks like I’m a full “wet” member. No ones going to come ruse me along and pull a plug or trip my kill switch for imitation are they?
Just kidding. It’s a great site with good information all can pull from. Thanks for the invite and happy to be aboard.

Jason Andes
Hammer

"Hammer:

I hate to throw co

"Hammer:

I hate to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, but you still have a potential problem. You stated that the old impellor had no blades left. Well, they went somewhere, and you need to find them--or else!

A hunk of impellor floating around inside the water passages can suddenly block the flow of water and destroy your engine, so you have to get ALL of them out of there. For this reason knowledgable OB people change impellors BEFORE they go away!

The best way to do this--you're gonna love this part!-- is to yank the lower unit back off (you're an expert now) and reverse flush from above. It takes some ingenuity to get water (and air, if you have it) to enter the block assbackwards and come out the inlet tube. Some people yank the water jacket covers off, which is no biggee if they are held by bolts AND nuts (as in some later Mercs). If, however, the jacket is only bolted on, the bolts tend to twist off on you--not good!

Sorry, but some things need to be said.

Jeff

PS: That it pumps water now does not mean there aren't any of those rubber time bombs floating about in there."

"Good thinking FastJeff.

"Good thinking FastJeff.

I did find chunks of rubber in the inlet filter thing, but I didn’t consider any rubber pushing up into the head. Great potential for rubber to have pushed through given the shape the old impeller was in. As luck (or not) would have it I’m iced in today and have the garage to myself. Guess its better to be certain now than stranded later. Thanks for the advice and I’ll let you know what blows out.

Jason"

Got her back together in no ti

Got her back together in no time…. "That was easy". Blew air threw her and found nothing from the top or bottom. Seemed to flow consistently from either end. did a little more cleaning and greasing and put her back together. Better safe and sure than stranded and out hundreds of dollars.

Jason

Back