Logo

Drum testing your motor

kev_dog

IS THERE A DIFFRANCE IN DRUM T

IS THERE A DIFFRANCE IN DRUM TESTING YOUR MOTOR THAN PUTTING IT IN THE LAKE. PS. THE MOTOR IS A 1985 15 HP JHONSON SEA HORSE.

"Engines run in a test tank or

"Engines run in a test tank or drum are usually run with a special 'test wheel' in place of the propeller so it will turn up the proper rpm's without throughing all the water out of the tank. Sometimes, especially in a small drum the engine will suck up air and cause the motor to overheat."

Of course that is true! On the

Of course that is true! On the lake the boat is moving and in a tank it is not.It is just not the same and that is why there are "TEST PROPS"

"Notwithstanding the fact that

"Notwithstanding the fact that out on the lake, there's all this fressh air, whereas hanging around the tub, there's all this exhaust to be sucked in and play havoc with fuel/air ratios."

MY FATHER INLAW RAN HIS IN A T

MY FATHER INLAW RAN HIS IN A TUB FOR 10 MINS.AND IT RAN FINE. THEN WHEN HE GOT TO THE LAKE HE RAN 2 MILES AND HIS ENGINE QUIT.HE ENDED UP GETTING SOME ONE TO TOE HIM BACK.TO MAKE THIS SHORT I JUST GOT THIS MOTOR AND I DONT WHANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME.

It depends on why the motor qu

It depends on why the motor quit.I would think that it would have quit in the tank also.Check the water pump!

"i have run eng's in every

"i have run eng's in every kind of test tanks,for 29 yrs...and been covered in smoke while the eng just hauled ass...the smoke thing,of course,..could,...be a factor...but,..you would have to have the cover on,.like a 9.5,...and smother it....i bet on a fuel or ignition prob..."

Back