Logo

MinnKota Electric or outboard

T

Teri

"Hi! My son & I will be v

"Hi! My son & I will be vacationing in March on St. George Island, FL and I have bought an 11' sevylor caravelle. I'm wondering if an electric motor would be enough, what with wind & water cond. or if I should just go with an outboard. I'm checking out an Evinrude 3hp & a Champion 4.2hp. The boat "allows" up to a 4hp outboard & I'd rather not be limited by the battery of an electric, but don't know anything about engines. Thanks!"

"Go with the outboard. Not on

"Go with the outboard. Not only is an electric dreadfully slow, batteries have an alarming habit of running down at the worst possible moment.

Jeff"

"Thanks Jeff, I'm bidding

"Thanks Jeff, I'm bidding right now (on eBay) on a 1940 Johnson Seahorse 2.5. Seller is actually local to me. There's another a little bit bigger I'll go after if this one goes too high. Sounds good from talking to the seller. My brother has always worked on cars and will help me with tune-up/repairs. Thanks again!"

"A 1940! You don't really

"A 1940! You don't really want one that old, do you? My oldest motor was a 50 year old Mark 25, and that was pushing it.

Jeff"

By your own admission you say

By your own admission you say you don't know anything about motors. That alone means you need to look at something newer than 1940 if for no other reason than parts availability.

Back