Logo

1977 Evinrude 35 weak spark

Z

ZDave

I have weak spark. Will not st

I have weak spark. Will not start. Eletric start.
How do you check the power pack.

"Weak spark would not be due t

"Weak spark would not be due to a faulty powerpack. The most likely culprit would be the stator assy under the flywheel.

The stator provides approximately 300 AC volts to the powerpack capcitor. Should the stator start to melt down or start to fail for any reason, the voltage to the powerpack drops and weak ignition, and eventually no ignition takes place."

"Look for evidence of corroded

"Look for evidence of corroded wires or connections, particularly those coming from the stator."

"Thank-you for you're prom

"Thank-you for you're prompt replies, I have pulled the flywheel. The shear key is fine and every- thing looks good. The motor was stopped abruptly when the lower-unit froze up or we hit something. I started the motor after removing the lower-unit and it started and ran (3-4 mo., ago). I have replaced (rebuilt) the lower unit checked the shear-key (it is fine), have fuel (wet plugs, replaced fuel with new fuel) but have a weak spark. The plugs fire but maybe not enough when under compression; it used to have lots more spark when turning over with starter. All the connections on the motor are good. I am suspecting the key switch is grounding the spark some how. Can I check the stator and compontes. I have ohm meter and can read it it I know what to look for.
Thanks for all the great help so quickley. I have a 14 year old fisherman setting here that would kiss you if the boat would run ahd he could get to his favorite crappie hole."

"I searched the board and foun

"I searched the board and found what I needed. I can handle it, thanks. I'll be checking out the stator. It looks good but is electrical so therefor a mystery.
Thanks for the great resource...
ZDave"

"It is the kill wire. Black a

"It is the kill wire. Black and yeller sripe. It was frayed,I cut it and it starts great just can't turn it off...Not a complete short but enough. The wire leaks some where. I'll have to run that down.
Thanks
ZDave"

Back