Logo

Volvo MD6B will not start

C

crown28owner

"Been trying to start this eng

"Been trying to start this engine for 6 months now any ideas what to try next ?

Replaced broken injection pump last summer, this broke according to mechanic from water in the fuel. I have carefully installed the pump as per the manual, so the gears line up and the timing mark lines up.

The engine cranks normally, fuel comes out injection pump normally, have had the injectors rebuilt, have of course changed the fuel and filters etc, have checked the fuel going to injectors for air and water and see nothing wrong. Have a fully charged marine battery so she cranks at full speed. I have shot some quickstart into the air intake a couple times (sputters for a couple seconds) and then nothing.

I know very little about the engine internals but all worked fine before the injection pump broke, the engine seems to have compression, if I release the compression lever it hand cranks easy, close lever then tough to crank manually, the valves seem to operate fine (observing when hand cranking).

So I believe the fuel delivery part is all ok, don't know about return lines if this could stop it from starting, or the exhaust system if that could prevent starting.

What to try next , I bought some cetane booster and will put in the tank and fuel filter this weekend and let her crank some more.

Any ideas

Kevin"

"Assuming nothing else has bee

"Assuming nothing else has been messed with as you say, you probably have a fuel delivery problem. I would double check the installation of the injection pump to make sure it wasn't installed 180 deg out. It has to be sequenced properly otherwise it will tell the wrong cylinder to fire on its exhaust stroke. Second, make sure the system is completely removed of all air. Crank the engine with both high pressure lines loose to the injectors. No bubbles should be emerging at all. If its free of air, tighten the connection to one of the injectors as the engine is cranking. It should try to start. If its not, you still have a fuel problem. Check the stop lever and the governer throttle positions as well. Remember, it ran before you installed the new injector pump, so concentrate on the items attached and assisting its function and you'll find your problem. Hopefully you're not using the same fuel that damaged the pump in the first place. Good luck..."

Thanks for the help

I had p

Thanks for the help

I had put the gear at the back of the injection pump on 180 degrees out... she's running now after a few other minor complications

Kevin

"I have a VOLVO MD6A.During th

"I have a VOLVO MD6A.During the spring start up,the mechanic told me the fuel injection pump was bad and needed to be rebuilt.That was 2 1/2 years and a lot of money ago!It's still not right.If anyone has any advice or ideas on how to track down a pump I would really appreciate it.
Thanks, Greg."

VOLVO MD6A does anyone have an

VOLVO MD6A does anyone have an engine repair manuel or a place where i can find one?if someone has a manuel and can sell me a copy that would also work. thanks

Just sent the owner and worksh

Just sent the owner and workshop manual to you by email

anyone know of a used manifold for an md6b?

Jerry

Back