Logo

2001 Mercury 200hp Optimax Jet Drive

searay57

Contributing Member
I am looking into a sea doo ut

I am looking into a sea doo utopia with this power. Has anyone had any experience with this set up pros and cons. and what are the general maintenance of a jet system. Any help will be greatly appreciated

the jet is an excellent system

the jet is an excellent system the 200 optimax provides great power smooth running easy starting and is short lived.

they just dont seem to last an

they just dont seem to last and when they break it is very expensive.on the other hand the 175 sportjet is almost bulletproof

What kind of problems are typi

What kind of problems are typical? Is this something I should stay away from? I dont want to get stuck with someone eles problems!

In the middle of january i went to look at the boat. It is very clean and well maintend so I put a deposit on it. ( my friend has the same boat w/ 240 efi and has never had any problems) so I thought this would be and ok choice. Then on the net I have read about problems here and there about the 200hp. But nothing gives a disciption of the problems (ie: blown head gasket or strarter died) they just mention problems. So I am suposed to complete the sale this weekend and I am nervous.

Is there any Symptoms of problems that can be seen in a test drive and basic inspection?

thank you for you help

the 240 is an old school motor

the 240 is an old school motor same power head as 175 with injectors and a computer 175 is carb
the 200 optimax is a direct injection motor power head is completely different than the proven 2.5l 175 and 240

"shawn,
so you cant tell me a

"shawn,
so you cant tell me anything bad about the 200 other than your opinion of you dont like it?"

Some of the jet installations

Some of the jet installations have had problems with the plastic drive gear for the oil injection pump. So check it out.

"searay,
The Mercury’s 200 HP

"searay,
The Mercury’s 200 HP Sportjet is based on Mercury’s 2.5l V6 block. The same block is used in the more powerful 240 HP EFI Sportjet (Electronic Fuel Injection) and the less powerful 175 HP Sportjet (Carbureted). Mercury offers all 3 possible induction systems for their Sportjets, DFI (Direct Fuel Injection), EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) and Carbureted. The latter two however will be discontinued in 2006. This is unfortunate as the 240 HP Sportjet is a great, however thirsty, machine. Mercury will discontinue all Sportjets except for the Optimax DFI jets which come in 200 HP and 250 HP. The 250 HP Sportjet is based on the larger 3.0l block."

"The 200 HP and up Optimax OUT

"The 200 HP and up Optimax OUTBOARD motors did seem to have some issues when they came out. These motors did not use the 2.5l block. They had a new 3.0l block. It seems like this did not work out very well in the beginning. Depending who you believe there are different speculations out on this subject. It did seem that the first of these motors had a fair share of power heads problems. Reasons seemed to have been detonation and damage caused by broken sparkplugs.

Why the 3.0l motors and not the 2.5l motors had problems is not easy to say, but it was most likely caused by the higher heat due to the higher power output of these motors."

Back