Logo

1994 ocean runner 200 runs away at idle

T

Tom Farrell

" Dear Joe, I have a problem w

" Dear Joe, I have a problem with my 1994 Oceanrunner 200. On the hose in the driveway, the rpm's started out at around 2000 at idle. After about ten minutes I got a low oil alarm (I think) and I squeezed the oil primer bulb and the alarm went away. The engine then started racing, it wouldn't drop below 3000 rpm. If I gave it any gas, it would almost over rev. I'm thinking it could be a restriction in the fuel supply. I'm at my wit's end for this boat.. thanks "

"Tom..... For those rpms to ta

"Tom..... For those rpms to take place, you've got something way out of adjustment, and I suggest strongly that you have an experienced OMC tech look it over. It could be simply that you've adjusted your throttle cable so that the carburetor butterflys are opening, but without being there... or more of a detailed explanation from you as to when it ran correctly last, what have you or someone else done to it since etc, I'm unsure of how to advise you. Pumping the oil primer bulb should have made it slow down and smoke somewhat, not increase the rpms.

The warning system is:
1 - A short beep when you turn the key on = Tells you the horn is operational.
2 - A beep every 20 seconds = The oil is down to the 1/4 tank level.
3 - A beep ever other second = The VRO pump has failed, or you have a oil restriction.
4 - A constant steady beep = Overheating or a fuel restriction.

Joe
"

" Dear Joe, thanks for your pr

" Dear Joe, thanks for your prompt reply. I think that you have confirmed my suspicion, that the old girl will have to go to the mechanic again. I did not make any adjustments to the throttle or any other cables. The sound was more like #3 than any other. The boat has been sitting for a few months. Could the oil get gummy in the pick up and supply lines? I use OMC oil and stabilize my fuel. With a re- power so expensive, I don't want to take any undo chances. thanks again. "

"Tom... With the engine sittin

"Tom... With the engine sitting a few months, and if the beeping did not return within a few minutes after you pumped the oil primer bulb ie the beeping did not retun, period..... I would strongly suspect that a small air pocket had formed in the oil line. I've encountered that quite a few times. And sitting for a few months could also cause carburetors to foul and run lean, which under the right circumstances could result in high rpms. Good Luck.

Joe
"

Back