Logo

Voltage regulator on 196885 hp evinrude

rghatton

" There was a wire (yellow

" There was a wire (yellow) burnt off, what I am told is my voltage regulator. It's about 1" round and has 2 yellow and 1 black coming from it. there is 7POA marked on the side. I resoldered the wire and put it back on the motor. My ampmeter is not registering that it's charging now but the battery seems to be staying charged. Can I still buy this regulator and if so about how much are they?...I live in Ontario Canada.
Thanks Ralph "

"Ralph.... You do have a volta

"Ralph.... You do have a voltage regulator on that engine but it is sort of rectangular in shape, and is bolted to the exhaust baffle plate (the large plate located between the cylinder heads), in back of the bracket that your powerpack is bolted to. The item you are describing sounds like the "Rectifier" that would be bolted to the same bracket your pack is attached to. The rectifier has three wires... a yellow wire, a yellow wire with a gray stripe, and a red wire. These wires are attached to a three prong plastic plug. The base of the rectifier is sort of triangular shaped and is secured with two screws. Your wires may appear different in color due to age.

The purpose of the rectifier is to convert AC power coming out of the stator under the flywheel to DC voltage to charge the battery.

I don't know if they are still available or not, but the last price I saw on them was $99.60. If you need one, I still have two new ones in stock. You could have one for $55.00 which would include shipping.

Joe
"

"The rectifier can be replaced

"The rectifier can be replaced with a common one sold at radioshack for under $2.00, I also have a 1968 85 hp evinrude and had done the same modification, If you would like I will get you the part number and I will send you some simple instructions on the modification. I am also in need of various part for this same motor. also a prop, Do you know where I can find any?
E-mail [email protected]
Thank you
Bruce Mottl"

Back