Logo

What to check on a 70HP Jonhson before buying

matt

Hi Guys.
I am looking at buy

Hi Guys.
I am looking at buying a ski boat with a 70 hp Johnson. I have been told that it is a 1984. The real problem is that it has been sitting for a couple of years and doesn't start. The lady says she has been told there is a wiring problem and thats why it won't start. Is there anything I can check on the motor to make sure it is alright?
It also has electric start.
Thanks alot
Matt

"Matt... There's a plate o

"Matt... There's a plate on the port (left) transom bracket (Bkt bolted to the boat) with a plate that has a model & serial number. There's also a core plug on the powerhead with those same numbers. Get the "Model" number to us and we'll pin point the year & hp for you.

If it is indeed a 1984, that's the first year OMC came out with the VRO setup (a large black plastic fuel/oil pump). Look at the back of that pump. If it has no wires or three wires, it has the old type VRO. The new type VRO has four (4) wires. Note that the VRO pump exceeds $270.00 in price!

Check the compression, 100lbs + and even on all cyls, s/plugs out... spark should jump at a 1/4" gap on pre 1973 models, and a 7/16" gap from 1973 up.

Make sure there's no piston play by holding a screwdriver or something lightly on top of the pistons, and turning the flywheel by hand... when the piston is being pulled downwards, pull it down with the flywheel about 1". Now, hold the flywheel and try to push the piston down without moving the flywheel. If that piston will move down and the flywheel doesn't move, play exists in a wrist pin area or at the con rod to crankshaft area.

At the lower unit, the large slotted bottom drain screw... drain out a slight bit of lube to make sure there's good lube there and no water of metal filings.

A engine sitting that long would have bad fouled carburetors. They'll require cleaning and rebuilding.

Joe
"

" Thanks for the help Joe.
We

" Thanks for the help Joe.
We went and looked at it last night and the motor ended up being seized. We couldn't even get the starter motor to move at all when we hooked some cables up to it.
We atleast I found this site know anyway, great message board by the way.
I wil check in what I finally get a boat and motor.
Thanks again!!
Matt "

" Hello Matt,

I have sever

" Hello Matt,

I have several good running 70 hp Johnson
call me at 954-797-6613 or email at ptwitty_2000
@juno.com

Gary "

Back