Logo

Stator Melting Joe Please explain

danjmartin

" Joe, In a previous post you

" Joe, In a previous post you mentioned something about a melting stator. I noticed when I removed the fly wheel on my 78, 140 HP, Evinrude, to take apart my motor (to remove a shot piston and rings - previous post), I noticed what looked like black glue on my stator.

My guess is this isn't glue, but the plastic melting. What does it mean? Is it not working properly? Can I replace it with a used one?

Any information would help.

Thanks, Dan "

"Dan.... On your stator, the s

"Dan.... On your stator, the smaller coils on the sides are for charging the battery. The larger two (2) coils at the front and back of the stator are for supplying 300v AC to the p/pack(s). If the stator overheats on that model, (usually due to a faulty charging problem), the result has always been that the stator would crack and start to melt down at one, or both, of the larger coils. In answer to your question... there should be nothing dripping out of that stator, and of course you can replace it with a good used one.

If you have a tachometer, and it works, then your charging system is okay as the tach operates off the charging system. If you do not have a tach, or if the tach quit working, or if your battery keeps dying...you may have a shorted out rectifier.

Joe
"

"Dan.... As a follow up, when

"Dan.... As a follow up, when those larger coils start to melt down, the voltage that they would supply to the p/pack(s) drops. This results is faulty ignition. They might supply power when cold, and the spark might appear normal, but as the stator heats up, the ignition would cease to be proper.

Joe
"

" Hmmmm, well the motor was ru

" Hmmmm, well the motor was running ok and the ignition never seemed to be a problem, but my tachometer doesn't work (I assumed it was the gauge and I was going to buy a new one).

In addition, I would keep my battery on a charger whenever it wasn't running, so I'm not sure the rectifier works or not... "

Back