Logo

115 Mercury 22 Oil Pump Removal

bobbyc

Advanced Contributor
"The motor is a 1995 115hp Mer

"The motor is a 1995 115hp Mercury/Yamaha 2+2. After careful consideration, I would like to disconnect the automatic oiling system and run a 50 to 1 mixture. My question concerns the best way to disable the oil pump. I am concerned that simply removing the lines would eventually cause the pump to seize and possibly result in some type of damage. Another alternative would be use a short, oil filled hose and connect it from the input to the output side of the pump. I don’t know if this would work or if the oil might somehow find its way out of the pump and into the crankcase, leaving the pump gears without lubrication. The other alternative is to remove the pump entirely and make some type of block off plate to cover the hole in the block. I bought the service manual last year but there are no clear pictures of the inner workings of the oil pump. I would like to hear from someone who actually performed this operation. I would like to hear which method he used and what type of results or problems were encountered. Also is the low oil sensor in the tank a simple on-off switch and should the wires be separated or connected to by-pass the switch. Thanks in advance for your input."

What was wrong with it? That m

What was wrong with it? That may lead to problems at idle and off-idle on a fixed ratio. Merc did make a block-off plate. 2+4 is not the place to get creative.

"There is nothing wrong with i

"There is nothing wrong with it...it is correctly adjusted and still smokes at idle...Motor is in excellent condition, good compression and low hours. My concern is that the only warning is the one in the tank. There is no warning if the pump fails. I understand what you are saying regarding the 2+4...This is why I would like to hear from someone who actually changed over. Have these systems been trouble free???"

I doubt that will ever fail. T

I doubt that will ever fail. That is why there is no sensor for it. The 3.0L V-6 also did not have one. The only likley point of failure is the plactic tubing. Those hoses do need to checked and replaced on older motor's.

"Bob,
That engines oil injec

"Bob,
That engines oil injection was reasonably reliable.. I have seen a few of those pumps not supply the correct amount of oil though.. Disconnecting the oil injection will have no affect on the 2+2 system as the fuel and oil are mixed before the carbs. To disconnect this oil injection system, simply remove the oil injection drive gear from behind the pump. To do this, you need to remove the oil pump, then the spacer behind it, then the oil gear will come out. Then simply put the spacer and oil pump back in place."

Back