Logo

02 F50TLRB Impeller amp housing

glenn_w

"Has anybody experienced this

"Has anybody experienced this problem with the impeller pump and housing, and how did you fix it? When the motor sits for a while without use the impeller and housing self destruct upon start. Seems like the impeller is fusing with the stainless cup which spins in the housing eventually ruining the housing and shredding the impeller. Prior to long storage I drop the lower unit and lube the impeller just to be safe, but now this problem seems to be getting worse. I'll be carrying an extra set with me just in case. Never had a problem with any other motors like this. Thanks for the help."

"Yep, all OEM from the dealer.

"Yep, all OEM from the dealer. Was warrenteed the first time but had to pay this time. The only thing not being replaced is the plate underneath. I just don't like not trusting a motor, a new one at that. I don't want to have to drop the unit and lube it all the time. Any suggestions?"

Is anybody running the pump dr

Is anybody running the pump dry by any chance? There are millions of impellers in stainless housings with no problems------ so there is something wrong here.

"Anything is possible, but it

"Anything is possible, but it hasn't been run dry to my knowledge. This last time the muffs were hooked up and water was running for almost 5 minutes before it was started. I can't figure it out either, the only thing I can guess is that after prolonged storage the rubber just bonds to the stainless. I'll try changing my impellers in the spring instead of at the end of the season. I just hate the thoughts of getting 100 miles from home and having this happen. Wouldn't even be that bad if it just shredded the impeller and didn't ruin the housing."

Well something is wrong here!

Well something is wrong here! I believe you are the only one with this problem.Kids or somebody is running this thing dry without water.Know of one individual that used to start a MERCURY V-6 dry because he liked the sound of this powerful engine and thought that it would not overheat in 20 seconds or so. He did learn his lesson thru his wallet.Think about it there are millions of these motors and manufacturers would do something in a hurry in many areas motors are only used 2-3 months of the year and I have never seen / heard of this problem.

DO NOT RUN ON MUFFS!!!
these

DO NOT RUN ON MUFFS!!!
these motors can not handle them nowadays
that is why u can flush them

Back