Logo

280 helmet bolt problem

v20

"I finally got my project boat

"I finally got my project boat reasembled but the old helmet bolt does not fit the new clamp ring I installed on the transmission. I thought all the single bolt clamp rings were the same. My old one used a very large diameter bolt that was fairly consistent in diameter the entire length of it. The new clamp ring has a much smaller threaded hole. Does anyone know what bolt will fit this.
Oh, it's an AQ140/280, but I don't know what the clamp ring was from."

"Here are the photos. Is a 27

"Here are the photos. Is a 270 clamp ring different and is that what happened? The person I got if from said it was the same part number as the one listed for mine.
151398.jpg
pic

"This is the old bolt in the p

"This is the old bolt in the picture. The new clamp ring is just not visible, but the threaded hole is much smaller than this old bolt, maybe about 10mm."

"Ok, it does appear to be 1/2

"Ok, it does appear to be 1/2 thread. Will the other style bolt fit the old helmet and would I need both 37A and 37B?"

There also appears to be two d

There also appears to be two different part #76. One has a 1/2 on the end and the other has 14m18 on the end of the nummber. I wonder if the one with the 1/2 on the end is just a shoulder bolt to fit my helmet with a 1/2 clamp ring. If so that would solve the problem.

"Ted, the 37A and 37B are a ne

"Ted, the 37A and 37B are a newer assembly for higher power applications (normally V8 engines) where the other types of bolts (part 76) may not be able to withstand the higher power. I know that VP has gone through different sizes helmets and bolts; so your best bet will likely be to drop in at a VP dealer with what you have and get a bolt that fits. If you are 100% sure that the thread in the clamping ring is 1/2, just remove your current helmet from the steering fork and take it with you to either a VP dealer or a VP boneyard, so that you can ensure that the bolt you get fits the helmet with no problems."

I just ran into the same probl

I just ran into the same problem. There are two sizes. The small one comes off a 4 cyl. 280. I found a used one on a 1978.

"Gentlemen, I can't seem t

"Gentlemen, I can't seem to loosen that %&#@ stainless hex bolt on my 280 helmet. WD40, 2 bent hex wrenches, to Home Depot purchased an impact wrench.....WON"T LOOSEN!! It's holding up my rebuild. Any "NEW" ideas?? Dave in Gig Harbor Wa."

You may have to heat the bolt

You may have to heat the bolt with a torch. If you ruin the helmet you can always find a new one on ebay for about $50. I have a used helmet with the big bolt.

A 10 mm Allen wrench assisted

A 10 mm Allen wrench assisted with a 2 ft pipe should give you enough torque to remove it no matter how seized it may be. Try moving the wrench back and forth (slowly) until the bolt threads start loosening-up around the helicoil in the clamping ring.

I would not recommend using heat unless the clamping ring has been removed from the upper gear assembly.

"Thanks Guys, Already used a t

"Thanks Guys, Already used a torch. I used a 4 foot pipe and twisted the allens. I bought a allen socket for my breaker bar and no luck.Sooo
Ray I may get back to ya on that used helmet.
Tonight it's do or die on that bugger!Dave"

"When you reassemble the whole

"When you reassemble the whole thing, I think you should either lubricate the bolts or use a removable thread-lock compound, so that you don't run into the same fun in the future.
biggrin.gif
"

"El Pescador, You are right on

"El Pescador, You are right on, bought this 18ft BL Admrilty cuddy last year and had it out one time and "knock knock knock.
When reassembly happens everything that screws, snaps,or twist will be delt with, with salt water in mind. Dave"

"Well Boys , One generous squi

"Well Boys , One generous squirt of Liquid Wrench with silicone........and PRESTO!!! I removed that helmet bolt. Back to the AQ140 rebuild. Dave"

Back