Logo

Help adjusting the control cables on 2005 Johnson 115 2 stroke

david_c

"I replaced these cables with

"I replaced these cables with Teleflex TF xtreme cables I bought from this site last Nov. I had a long project on this boat over the past 6 months and I am almost finished.
I looked through my manual and did not see anything on adjustment. I know I missed it. Any info or tips would be very much appreciated.
I think I have figured out how and where the cables should be connected. The throttle cable connects to the vertical arm that actuates the throttle on the carbs and the shift cable connects to the arm that goes into the cylinder head? Is that correct? Again I could not find it in my manual.
angry.gif

Thanks and I do appreciate the help,
David"

"David,
I don't know wha

"David,
I don't know what motor you have, but your description of the attachment sounds about right. The adjustments can be a little tricky depending on the year of the motor.

For the shift cable, put the control in neutral. Push and pull on the cable to find the center of the slop. Move the shift arm on the motor to find the center of the slop in neutral. Hook up the cable end to the shift arm. Turn the adjustment nut until it lines up with the boss that holds the cable. Put the cover on the adjuster/boss and snug it down. Shift very slowly toward forward with the prop in a position where it won't go into gear. Note the position where you feel resistance in the shift lever. Don't push any farther. Do the same for reverse. The shifter should move about the same distance toward forward and reverse before encountering resistance. That last part isn't in the manuals, but I find it an effective way to make sure the linkage is adjusted properly.

The throttle cable is a little different. Most of the OMC control boxes take up the cable slack when shifting into and out of gear. Put the cable on and get a rough adjustment. Turn the prop so the unit shifts into gear easily. Advance the throttle a good ways and return to neutral. Turn the adjustment nut until it just barely pulls the throttle arm back against the idle screw when shifted from forward to neutral. Repeat this until you get it right. If too loose, it won't pull all the way back to idle when you shift to neutral. If too tight, the fast idle lever may pop up, or the control may bind when you shift into neutral. This one may take some playing with to get right. Note that the throttle arm may stay 1/8" or so off the idle stop if you advance the throttle and return to first notch without shifting to neutral.
D"

"Thanks for the reply and help

"Thanks for the reply and help. I completely forgot to include my motor info. Sorry.
Its a 2005 Johnson 115 Ocean Pro two stroke.
I attached the binnacle control box a little while ago for the first time. I haven't tried to adjust anything yet.
Should the prop always be turning when I shift the gears? Or just do it once to line everything up? Sounds like I need to find a recruit to help with this if the prop has to be turned.
uhoh.gif
I will have to get one of my kids to play skipper and help old dad out.

Thanks again for the info. I will work on this tomorrow and see how it turns out.

David"

Back