Logo

Warm starting

drwho

"Hi all
sorry if this is too

"Hi all
sorry if this is too basic, but i'm brand new to this sport.

I have a brand new 5 HP tohatsu, 4 cycle, with the separate gas tank. I took it out for the first real time today, and it started fine, ran fine, but after it was turned off for 20 minutes while I fished. I had a DEVIL of a time starting it. The trouble is, I might not have tried it the first time exactly as the manual described (no priming, no choke, trottle at the strart position). But after a few failures I tried every combination. Oddly, on a fluke, after sometime of rowing (ouch) I unscrewed the gas cap, and presto it started right up! Yes, the bleeder valve was unscrewed counterclockwise fully.

I don't want a repeat - it was very discouraging. Is warm staring this sensitive? Did I flood the carburator by pressing the primimg bulb and trying the choke too soon? If I flooded the carburator, how do I best deal with that on the water? Was in just an accident that opening the gas cap was followed by easy starting?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks"

"There is no telling as to wha

"There is no telling as to what the problem is, if any, at this point. You have a three year warranty so run it by a dealer."

Back