Logo

Duoprop 290 Shift Mechanism PROBLEM

captrich

Have 1989 Diesel Duoprop 290 a

Have 1989 Diesel Duoprop 290 and starting to have problems shifting into forward. is there a adjustment other then cable?

"It might be time for a 'm

"It might be time for a 'major' service of upper unit.
Change of wear-ring, lapping of clutch cone and gear cone, re-shimming of shift fork.
What oil are You using?
Suggest You get hold of a factory manual before You start."

might be the cable
best is to

might be the cable
best is to remove cabe and shift it by hand and go from there

Using Volvo GL-5 gear oil . It

Using Volvo GL-5 gear oil . It's packaged as the only gear oil to be used in early models drives. I've been told specificly not to use synthetic oils on older drives due to damage to seals and gaskets. The label on the older Volvo GL-5 containers supports this with a chart detailing which oil for different drive models.

"What is 'older'?
I u

"What is 'older'?
I used to have a 28' Finnspeed Pilot boat with twin AqAD31A - 290DP . 5,5 tons, A5 props. Quite heavy, topped out 30+ knots, marched around 25. Had 'disconnected' the smoke limiters to get full power from bottom.Used it all year around, from + 20C to well below freezing. Heavy towing, rescue etc. The only oil holding up was the Volvo Penta Synthetic (Mobil 1). Never had shifting problems (slipping cone). When I sold it it had passed 2500 hrs total. Bought it second hand from the Oslo Police in 87. It had been heavy used and abused. Smacked up in average 2 set of props every year by going where I should not go during salvage and rescue, wrecks and 'submarines' are normally at naughty places!"

Back