Logo

Johnson 175 Is it starter bendix or flywheel stuck

captainsharon

"Brand new to this site, sorry

"Brand new to this site, sorry if this is lengthy. Am I the only female? I last used this boat in August ran fine, flushed and left sitting since. Would not start, charged batteries, found severely corroded ground wire from battery to motor. Replaced both wires to motor. Still would not start, sylenoid seemed to work, but nothing from the starter. Bought new starter and connected. At first it would spin without engaging. First time it engaged for 2 seconds and stopped. Now nothing when turning key to start. My starter does not have the bendix on the shaft, it has a gear reduction drive that is only accessible when you take off the plastic fly wheel cover. So I reluctantly removed the covers and exposed the gears and flywheel. The bendix appears to be in working order but the flywheel will not turn by hand. Is this normal? I think that the bendix is rising and engaging but unable to turn the flywheel. Is it possible to seize from just sitting for 8 months. I live in South Florida it is hot and humid but no chance of freeze. I am mechanical and handy and enjoy learning. I am trying to decide when to call the mechanic. My starter is a looper or the motor is a looper. Maybe someone can explain what that is. I have a Seloc mannual but my motor seems to be the exception to every rule. Let me know if you can help."

"You seem to be suffering a co

"You seem to be suffering a common problem: slipping 'clutch' in in starter bendix. The only way to fix: Change bendix. Pos #17.
151232.gif
"

"You state "the flywheel w

"You state "the flywheel will not turn by hand".

Remove all of the spark plugs, then try to turn the flywheel by hand in a clockwise direction. You should be able to turn it easily. If not, and the spark plugs look normal, it is possible that you have a seized lower unit.

If the unit is absolutely jammed/seized, to determine whether the problem is with the powerhead or the lower unit, drop the lower unit, then attempt to turn the flywheel again. The result will be self explanatory.

Normally the problem you describe is due to loose cables, tight but dirty cables, things of that nature, BUT your quoted above statement needs to be addressed first."

"O.K. I went back and tried to

"O.K. I went back and tried to turn the flywheel and it will not budge. Propeller turns free in neutral and would not turn in gear. I cleaned and lubed the gears and bendix. Put it back together, it turned the flywheel about an inch or two. So I knew it moved! Put everything back together and hooked the battery to the charger when I fired it over and WahLah IGNITION! well, after a little sputtering. I don't know yet that everything is good but the starter is working. I still don't know why the flywheel wouldn't turn by hand. Thank you guys for the help. I am sure I will be back."

Back