Logo

1982 Johnson 35hp controls to tiller convert

samspop

"I'm considering the purch

"I'm considering the purchase of a 1982 Johnson 35hp. It is set up for forward controls but I need a tiller. Probably wouldn't consider the conversion, but this motor has only a couple hours on it and is absolutely like new. I know I need a tiller handle, but is there anything else req'd.(linkage,wiring,etc) The motor is elec. start. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so I'd most likely try to do it myself.
Thanks for any advice.
sun.gif
"

"this eng may/may not have a s

"this eng may/may not have a starter sw on it....if not,..then u would need that..and all the parts in the tiller handle,and if the parts are missing,the gear drive FOR the tiller handle."

"Thanks. I ended up buying the

"Thanks. I ended up buying the outboard...a 1982 35 Johnson w/ elec start w/ only 4 hours on it. I got it home and tore it down...actually pretty simple. The reassembly shouldn't be too hard either. Figured out what I need anyway. Only thing I'm not sure of is if I use the gear drive shaft(cable attached type) or if there is a different type for the tiller. I start my search for the tiller assembly tomorrow...a few decent outboard parts shops here in Minneapolis. There seems to be alot of these motors out there, and I'm sure alot have been neglected to junk, too."

Back