Logo

Charge rate

stewart9224

Hi all I have a 50hp 2006 yami

Hi all I have a 50hp 2006 yami and I would like to know what the battery charge rate is in amps . Also how can I improve it ? Thanks .

"Steward, to answer you initia

"Steward, to answer you initial question, it's a 6 amp, enough to keep your "charged" battery topped up, but unless you run all day, it will never charge a low battery for you..."

Thanks boys . How can I test i

Thanks boys . How can I test if it is putting out 6amp as it will not get to 13.8 volts when out fishing all day . Thats the main battery [just run sounder and radio] and the beep soliniod will not charge the second battery that runs the fridge . Thanks

you got too much amp draw

h

you got too much amp draw

how many batteries?
how is the boat wired?

we can get you the right setup

"Also, keep in mind that the a

"Also, keep in mind that the amps out is "variable" - when you are trolling or idling the motor, it's barely throwing out an amp, you only get max amps at sustained wide open throttle (max rpms)...."

"with a load<[img]"http://www.

"with a load
wink.gif
"

"Thanks I have 2 batterys 90am

"Thanks I have 2 batterys 90amph for main and 75amph for second . I also have Bep voltage sensitive relay witch charges main to 13.7 then charges both .
I can not see how a radio,sounder and T and T PLUS STARTING would take 3/4 H OF 1/2 throttle running to get to 13.7 volts and charge the 2 battery
So how can I test the amps from the motor . Thanks ."

"With now responce to how can

"With now responce to how can I test the amps from the motor , that the PPL in the Now has no idear how to test for it . Thanks"

"You can put an amp meter on i

"You can put an amp meter on it and see what it is putting out at any given rpm. But you have to face that a 6 amp maximum output is not going to recharge a 90 amp hour battery in 45 minutes.

If you were using a 6 amp "car" charger in your garage to charge that same battery that was significantly discharged you would leave it all day (or even possibly overnight).

Simply starting your motor might knock your battery down considerably if it doesn't start after a couple of turns - combine that with the fact that battery may have sat slowly discharging all week between use and it could be down 30 amps or so by the time you fire up the motor. That would require that you run at full throttle for over 5 hours solid to bring your main battery back up to charge, never mind the secondary - this is not the 60-100 amp alternator that you have in your vehicle...

As stated a couple of posts earlier, the charging system on your motor will maintain a fully charged battery, it was never designed to recharge a battery that was at somewhat less than full capacity. Normally you would throw your batteries on a trickle charger between use so they are charged fully when you set out in the boat for the day - if the motor's system is putting out about 13.5 volts while running then it is probably working exactly as designed...."

"Thanks Graham the battrys are

"Thanks Graham the battrys are on trikle charge when standing the motor starts in 3 seconds when cold,that should not take much power maybe the main is on its way out .

Just in time there is 2 battery`s and they ars seperated by a Beep voltage sencitive realy that seperates the 2 battery`s at 13.7 V and charges the second when the first gets to 13.7 V Thanks"

Back