Logo

Oil Additives

stumedic

Contributing Member
Now the oil companies have scr

Now the oil companies have screwed us again-not at the pumps but with our lube oil. Seems they removed the Zinc from motor oil. Zinc is a major anti wear agent. Now you have to add your own zinc for about $10 an oil change. It never ends.

THere is another way: Buy She

THere is another way: Buy Shell Rotela oil at WalMart. It has the zinc additive still in it--for now.

Jeff

I was told that Rotela was rem

I was told that Rotela was removing the Zinc too. I'm about to go scour some up if I can find it that still has Zinc. Thanks Jeff. Stu

"Am I to understand that the l

"Am I to understand that the latest API rating, API-SM is inferior to previous ratings?"

"Jeff, I was snooping around t

"Jeff, I was snooping around the hot rod forums and it seems Rotella is now without Zinc. I ordered a couple of bottles of Lucas pre lube which is high in Zinc and I'm going to use it with the Rotella. Getting it stuck to me by the oil companies again!"

"..."Getting it stuck to m

"..."Getting it stuck to me by the oil companies again!"

Aren't we all! Thanks for the update. I'll have to do the same, though I got in 'under the wire' last year and bought some of the old Rotella stock.

Jeff"

how would you know if it had t

how would you know if it had the Zinc or not. I think I'll start looking for Rotella and hope to find some that may be from old stock but am not sure how to check.

Actually in my reading I found

Actually in my reading I found that all diesel rated oils are having or most already have had the Zinc removed from the formulation. This is part of the govt's plan on having full emissions systems including cat converters and egr valves on all diesels. The additive phase out started back in 2006 with elimination sometime in 2007. Delo and Rotella already have had their anti wear additives removed. Other than a couple of mail order specialized racing oils all oils are pretty much Zinc free. I just ordered Lucas assembly lube which is loaded with Zinc to use as an additive with the standard Rotella. Stu

..."I just ordered Lucas a

..."I just ordered Lucas assembly lube which is loaded with Zinc to use as an additive with the standard Rotella"

Slick idea.

Jeff

I am not quite up to speed her

I am not quite up to speed here on this oil issue. So you want to have zinc in your engine oil? If so I should try to add Lucas assembly lube to my oil that has had zinc removed? How much Lucas do you add per oil change? What weight oil is everyone using in the 454's straight 40W?

Here's a additive that wil

Here's a additive that will do the job. It's around $5 per bottle. Use one per oil change. I use it in my older flat tappet british cars.

http://www.zddplus.com

If you have one of the newer engines it probably has a roller cam and doesn't need it.

Most of the oils now are rated SM and the additives have been decreased.

"Brian, The additive that prot

"Brian, The additive that protects engines in extreme use, such as diesels, race engines, and marine engines is a zinc compound. Well the epa got into this somehow and had the zinc removed. The way to get around this is by using an "assembly lube" as an additive. Lucas and a couple of others make zinc additives. If you call it an "assembly lube" it's not an additive. I'm running sae 40 in my gen IV 502. One rebuilder-I can't remember which one off hand-just changed their spec from multigrade to straight 30 or 40. Stu"

"Mrpops, it takes 1 bottle an

"Mrpops, it takes 1 bottle an oil change of the Lucas. A bit on the expensive side as I have to mail order the stuff. Stu"

"I was just thinking of the bo

"I was just thinking of the boats near me. The majority are older, although some are very nice. One friend is running old 3208's in his Blackfin, another 2 run twin Cummins in older Albemarles, an Ocean with 6-71tii's, a Tiara with twin Crusaders, a Bertram with twin Chryslers-I can go on all night. Every one of these boats are affected by this oil re-formulation. It's like the fiberglass fuel tank thing all over again. The 31 Bertram went through 2 cams in the last year. Stu"

"This is the first I have hear

"This is the first I have heard of this, I am running 1977 270hp 350's that have over 2000hrs on them, but they run real stron quite and have solid compression. What is the general consensus now for oil type and weight for that age engine and hrs. I have always read (especially on this board) that additives were a bunch of @#$%. Now it sound like a nessesity. Go figure?"

"..."By the way, has anyon

"..."By the way, has anyone contacted Crusader directly to get their take on this?"

Now, that's a smart idea! Somebody please give 'em a toot. I would, but I''m gonna be gone a few days.

Jeff"

""We do not recommend or e

""We do not recommend or endorse the use of any engine oil additives. Our only recommendation is to use a good quality motor oil meeting the minimum specifications that are required for your engine."

That's Crusader's answer. The only problem is the oil that is recommended for my Gen IV isn't made anymore. I'm going to stick with the Porsche group and the Hot Rod groups advice and use an additive. Here's Hot Rod magazine and Quaker State's take on zinc. http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0702_pitstop_zinc_oil_additive/index.html
Stu"

"Stu and gang,
I just re

"Stu and gang,
I just received a 4 pack of the ZD product recommended by JOE. I am having an oil dilemma. The only Shell Rotella 40W oil I could find at the Walmart near me was Synthetic 5w-40. Now I have brought the question up in another posting, I am not going to hold anyone responsible except for myself but does that meet the minimun specifications for a 1988 454 model 350 with hydraulic lifters? What weight oil are you guys all using, straight 40?"

I run straight 30 to start the

I run straight 30 to start the season.Around mid July I change oil and filters again with straight 40 as its warmer out....Todd

"My owner's manual says sa

"My owner's manual says sae-40 over 40* and sae-30 below, so I've been doing that. Similar to Todd's regiment. Stu"

Back