Logo

1960 Scott 40 hp engine need help

newsea23

I just got a 1969 Glastron boa

I just got a 1969 Glastron boat I belive its a 163.

It has a Scott 40 hp engine on it. Not sure what year I know the boat is 69. I am not sure of the fuel mix ratio. Any one know???? Also has a seawards king 6 hp trolling engine on it aswell. Let me know thanks

"Alex, by my listings the last

"Alex, by my listings the last 40 horse models built by Scott were 1960 models. So your motor is no younger than that. In that case it would mix at 24:1 - ditto the 6 horse.

Water cooled engines use TCW-3 rated Marine oil - air cooled engines use normal 2 cycle motor oil (such as used with lawnmowers and chainsaws)..."

well thanks for the informatio

well thanks for the information. To be honest I am not sure if its air cooled or water. When I first saw it I assumed water.

Ive been told 50:1 But I am not sure. I just dont want to mess any thing up.

Thanks

Alex

Well I went and got the TCW3 O

Well I went and got the TCW3 Oil and I mixed it 32-1 I figured it wouldnt harm it just to make sure the engine ran.

Seems like a strong engine. Charged the battery and turn the key it poped then with a little more effort she fired up.

So do you think 32-1 would be alright?

Thanks

"Alex, most motors didn't

"Alex, most motors didn't start with 50:1 until after 1965 (with a few exceptions). Running at 32-1 may be ok - I would keep an eye on it though - you don't want to toast the motor at this point since it seems to still run nicely.

As I stated in my earlier post, most pre-65 motors ran at 24:1 with a few at 16:1 (earlier Tecumseh's). My Dad's 59 Gale 40 horse works fine at 24:1 and with the modern oil doesn't even smoke that much...."

Back