Logo

Steering Cable for a 1979 Evinrude 70HP

dhungy

My steering cable stopped work

My steering cable stopped working (only went in one direction) so i ordered a replacement cable online and asked my local boat yard how to replace the cable. They suggested taking the motor off to install the new cable. I did so and cable rod wentin very hard and after installing it does not move. There seems to be a grease fitting there. Does it need to be greased? what else could be preventing the cable from moving the motor?

"You should take out the steer

"You should take out the steering cable, grease it and then re-install it. Work it back and forth several times... if it moves freely then you're ok... if not, put some more grease on it through the fitting and work it back and forth some more. If that doesn't free it up, then look to other things (like a sharp turn in your steering cable)"

The tube on the motor may be r

The tube on the motor may be rusted causing the cable to jam.Clean it out and grease the new assembly.

On the instructions for the ca

On the instructions for the cable it said not to grease any parts on the steering cable what should i do?

Also if it is hard to get it b

Also if it is hard to get it back out any suggestions on how i can accomplish this? should i ad grease to that fitting first

"Greasing the cable itself is

"Greasing the cable itself is different than greasing the part that goes through the tube on the motor... that part must be greased or it won't move (lots of friction equals no movement)... as far as ikia's suggestion to look for rust, it is a great idea and I recommend to clean it anyway. I use a wire brush (normally used for cleaning pipes), this will knock down any rust or old grease in there. After brushing be sure to clean away any loose particles as these may cause more friction. As far as removing the cable, the grease that you shoot through the fitting won't spread unless if the cable moves, but it won't hurt in helping you remove the cable."

"what mr peters suggests,..is

"what mr peters suggests,..is what we do .....except,..if u r referring to the 2 zerk fittings on the eng,that wont grease the cable..u can pump grease all day and none goes in the tube...they make an aftermarket nut w/a zerk on it,that u can apply grease there,and maybe thats what u r talking about...if u have no brush,use a longh rat-tailed file and wd40 to clean the tube...extend cable fully,grease in side------retract,grease outside,...install,after tube has been cleaned."

Back