Logo

454 engine doesnbt advance after 2800 rpmbs

snapper_slapper

Ran great all day on way home

Ran great all day on way home starboard engine would not go past 2800 rpms. Starboard throttle also is stiffer and does not advance as high as the port throttle. Is this a carb issue or timing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Boat is a 1989 tiara with 89 twin 454 cid

Is it likely the throttle cabl

Is it likely the throttle cables are the problem....only since you mention the stiffness. There would not be that much more cable movement to get to 4000 or so.

It could very well be timeing.

It could very well be timeing. You dont say how old these engines are but last year I found one of my distributors had badly corroded inside. So bad that the advance springs had rusted away and actually fell off. So there was no centifugal advance. Thats about all the rpm I could get when it fell off. Took both distributors out and disassembled them cleaned them bought new advance springs re-assembled and both engines rev up all the way now. Hope this helps. If you need a source for the parts let me know.

Just had a rebuilt 350 instal

Just had a rebuilt 350 installed. Runs smooth but will not go above 2600 rpms. Could it possibly be that I need to adjust the timing as well?

Its possible that it needs to

Its possible that it needs to be adjusted.It would be hard starting or backfireing if it were off a large amount. Also you may want to check your throttle cables and see if they are opening up the throttle plates on the carb all the way. Mark on the carb how far they open then disconnect the cable and open carb by hand to see if there is a difference. All this Im assuming you have a carb and not fuel injection.

Back