Logo

Slant six 2402E Ford industrial engine

singleprop

"Here is a copy from Torresen

"Here is a copy from Torresen Marine regarding the history of some of the Ford engines.

""I believe I can offer you some help with your 6 cylinder Ford engine. First though, I'll give you a brief history of the development of the engine, so that you will know what you have got.

Ford (of Britain) launched the "E1A Fordson Major" tractor in 1952 with a new overhead valve 4 cylinder 220 cubic inch diesel. This engine was known as the "4D". Shortly afterwards the "4D" was made available for fitting into the "Thames ET6/7" range of lorries (up to 5 tons payload). There was also a petrol version of this engine of approx 200 cubic inches. The competition however offered 7 tons payload, so Ford needed a new model of lorry to compete. This was known as the "Thames Trader" and was launched in May 1957 with the option of a "4D" or a new "6D" engine depending on the payload. The 6D was simply a 6 cylinder version of the 4D and therefore had a capacity of 330 cubic inches. There was also a petrol version of this engine of approximately 300 cubic inches.

There were effectively 3 flavours of the 4D engine: Agricultural / Automotive / Industrial. The agricultural version didn't rev as quickly as the automotive version - approx 1800rpm instead of approx 2400rpm. The industrial version had slight differences like a decompressor for starting with a handle.

Unlike the 4D, the 6D only had 2 flavours: Automotive / Industrial. A limited number of 6D engines were used in Agriculture by companies like County and Roadless for 6 cylinder 4 wheel drive Fordson Majors. A number were also used in combines / grass drying plant etc, but these were basically Industrial engines being used for agriculture. Ford themselves never really developed an agricultural version of this engine, and never built a 6 cylinder Fordson Major, although many were later converted.

The Fordson Major was produced until 1964, whilst the Thames Trader and Industrial engines were produced until 1965. During the production run of these engines (1952 to 1965), numerous minor changes were made, although the engines retained their basic design and dimensions throughout, with many of the parts being interchangable across the years. Some of the more significant changes include:
-- The launch of the Mk2 engine in 1957, which amongst other changes had "high crown" pistons, and a thicker head gasket.
-- The sealing of the (wet) cylinder liners with two O-rings in 1961. One at the top, one at the bottom. Previously only one O-ring had been used at the bottom.
-- The use of a Simms Minimec mechanically governed fuel pump instead of the previous vacuum governed Simms pump in 1962.

With the launch of the Mk2 Thames Trader in 1962, the 6D engine was fitted with the "FL" cylinder head. The 4D had the "FL" head from 1963. Please see the following link for further details of the "FL" head (courtesy of Steven B). http://www.ytmag.com/fordson/messages/2506.html

In April 1965 Ford launched the "D-series" lorry to replace the Thames Trader. Contrary to popular opinion, these lorries didn't have a "beefed-up" 6D, they had a whole new range of engines. These new engines had dry cylinder liners and a new block / cylinder head / sump etc. The first of these engines were offered in 330 & 360 cubic inch configuration, and a Turbo 360 was offered in 1968. The automotive versions of these engines were fitted in the lorries on a slant. The Ford Cargo replaced the D-series. The majority of marinized Ford 6 cylinders diesels that you will see nowadays are based on D-series / Cargo engines. The old "Thames Trader" engine (which you have) are scarcer to find now. The easiest way to identify the "4D / 6D" engines from the later engines is the external drive shaft to the injection pump.

On the 4D engine, either a nylon or a rubber coupling will be found as an injection pump drive shaft coupling. The injection pump drive exits the block from the timing gears, through the aforementioned coupling to the injection pump. On the 6D engine a drive shaft of approx 6 inches length is used to connect the pump to the timing gears. On both the 4D & 6D engines, the drive will be seen rotating whilst the engine is running.

The later D-series / Cargo engines however have the pump mounted directly to the timing gears and no moving parts will be seen whilst the engine is running.

Ford themselves never produced a marine version of their engines, however many industrial engines were marinized by third party companies. Going by the part numbers you have given, you have a marinized Ford 6D.

Judging from the cylinder head part number you have given (510E 6050-E FL), your engine dates from between 1962 (introduction of FL cylinder head) and 1965 (end of production).

I hope this helps you to understand what engine you have.

With regards parts availability, these engines are fairly easy to get bits for. A significant number of Fordson Major tractors are still in use around the world, and a large number have also been preserved / restored. Consequently, a lot of parts are being remanufactured for the Fordson Major, which don't forget is just a 4 cylinder version of your engine.

It should be easy to get hold of Valves, Valve guides, Pistons, Liners, Small end bearings, big end shells, main bearing shells, crank seals, water pumps etc. since they are all used on the "4D". Parts specifically for the 6D might not be quite so easy to get hold of, although they shouldn't pose too many problems.

The industrial engines were designated 589E, 590E, 591E, 592E for the 6 cylinder petrol, 6 cylinder diesel, 4 cylinder petrol, 4 cylinder diesel respectively. The Thames Trader 5 ton diesel (RHD) was denoted 510E, and the Thames Trader 5 ton petrol (RHD) was denoted 508E. The Fordson Major was designated the E1A.

So in general when looking for parts, try to find parts that start with either 508E (in the case of parts common with the 6 cyl. petrol eg. crank shaft), 510E (in the case of parts specific to the 6 cyl. diesel), or E1A (E1ADDN / E1ADKN) in the case of parts common with the 4 cylinder. Avoid parts that begin with a 2700E number (eg. 2703E / 2704E etc.), since these refer to the later D-series / Cargo type engine.

Firms that you may wish to look at include:
**VAPORMATIC (UK / Worldwide)
ww.vapormatic.com
Navigate to the "Tractor & Machinery section", then to the "Ford New Holland" section, then to the "Super Major" section (since your engine was built whilst the Fordson Super Majors were being built). You should see Valves, Pistons, Rings, Liners, Water Pumps, Crank front & rear seals, shell bearings etc. They also have dynamos and dynamo brush sets (I dont know if your engine has a dynamo).

**MANEKLAL EXPORTS (India)
ww.maneklalexports.com/English/ ... FORDCranks
This firm manufactures crankshafts for the 6 cylinder Thames Trader engine.

**KING ENGINE BEARINGS (Israel / USA)
ww.king-bearings.com/cat/panel/pan330.htm
This company offers shell bearings for the 6D (590E) engine.

**RING GEAR (New Zealand)
ww.ringgear.co.nz/Our_Products.shtml#FORD
This company offers starter rings to fit on the flywheel.

**MARINE CLUB
http://onepageinternet.com/tradboatengines
Have a manual for the 590E to borrow.

**Old20Parts
http://www.old20.com/
Navigate to 'Product Search' and then choose Fordson, Engine Parts.

**EMMARK UK Ltd.
http://www.emmarkuk.co.uk/filestore/FORD.pdf
Page 60 of the pdf document above lists engine parts for the Super Major engine, (all of which will fit the 6D except the oil pump and gaskets).

One of the weaknesses of these engines compared to the D-series/Cargo engines is that as they age, they can tend to let coolant into the sump. This is usually caused either by a leaky cylinder liner (rusted through from the water jacket side), or corrosion of the cylinder block where the lower sealing ring should seal. It is important therefore to use anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitors to prevent corrosion and consequent leakage. This isn't really a problem with the later engines since they use a dry liner.

In summary, these are good engines if they are given a regular oil change (approx 200-250 hours), operated at their correct temperature and with a good antifreeze solution. They combine ease of starting, reliability, long engine life, simplicity and have a relatively good parts supply. I wish you well with your engine. ""

Arthur Ford"

Re: "Here is a copy from Torresen

I am also looking for some information on my old engine, sold to me as a Ford d-series, Slant Six, I now believe it is a Yorke slant-Six, I understand it is a 1973 model, 2402E I have a handbook for it that shows the marinised engine as I have sitting in my boat...in both the four and six cylinder, I hjave been told there should be some pencil anodes on the raw water system.somewhere and I simply can't find them or identify any nuts or otherwise that would be likey to be a pencil anode, can anyone help

typically, they use one pencil in the heat exchanger, in the raw water portion....the pencil should be 'under' a pipe plug...sometimes they are located on the bottom so a flashlight and mirror can help locate them...

typically, they use one pencil in the heat exchanger, in the raw water portion....the pencil should be 'under' a pipe plug...sometimes they are located on the bottom so a flashlight and mirror can help locate them...

Thanks, strangely enough I was looking at hand-held mirrors in a hardware shop yesterday wondering if this would be of any assitance...I'll pick one up tomorrow and when I am out on the boat Sunday coming Ill have a good look in those areas you suggested, I'll keep you posted, thanks

If you have oil coolers, they may have one as well...they are typically in the raw water line from the seawater pump...

If you have oil coolers, they may have one as well...they are typically in the raw water line from the seawater pump...

Thanks, yes I do have an oil cooler, agina bene over it and can't find anything that looks like a anode----??? will have another look again

Back