Logo

Changing to edelbrocks

luhrs

I want to change my carters to

I want to change my carters to edelbrocks.I have twin 318s.I belive the carters are 500s are the 600 edelbrocks ok? How do I change from the mechanical choke to electric?
Thanks

"Get the smaller one, the 600

"Get the smaller one, the 600 MARINE carb. You'll need to find a 12 volt source that is ON with the ignition is ON to operate the chokes. Also, your flame arrestors will be too small in diameter to fit these carbs. Being a Cheapskate, I enlarged mine with a pencil grinder until it fit, but 'normal' people spring for new ones. THe throttle linkage works fine, but you'll need to drill and tap the body of the carb,, in front, for a vacuum fitting to operate the PVC valve--easier than it sounds. Use an 1/8 NPT pipe fitting with a 3/8 hose barb on the other end.

Jeff"

"Hey Jeff,
I'm changing t

"Hey Jeff,
I'm changing to an Edelbrock on my 318 as well and was wondering if you could possibly take a pictue of the location on the front of the carb where the fitting should go? Thanks.

Carl"

"I just finished switching the

"I just finished switching the Carters to 750 Marine Edelbrocks on my M440/330hp motors. My "only" changes were the fuel inlets were on the opposite side of the carb from the Carters. My marina mechanic was in a good mood and told me to make a pattern with a coat hanger, buy some copper line and he bent and flared it for me. I guess it was the $2000 worth of work he did on my Searay this past winter.
I did need to cobble together a reducer adapter for the PCV outlet, the Edelbrock was a smaller fitting.

The motors started right up with 5 pumps on the throttle handle without the chokes wired up. I'm glad I ran back to check things out right away because fuel was gushing out of the inline filters that weren't tight enough. Mechanic says I can use the live side of the coil for the choke power but someone on one of the lists questioned that being a suitable power source. YMMV

Eddie Zuskin
82 Carver 33 Mariner Project
87 Searay 250 Sundancer, completed project?"

is the coil uses a resistor it

is the coil uses a resistor it wont be getting a fll 12 volts but if not or if you wire it befire the resistor it would work.

"Will is correct, and that&#39

"Will is correct, and that's not what the ECM needs to be handling in any case.

Why a PCV setup? It removes moisture from the oil so acid does not form (as quickly). If you want a motor clogged with sludge--think of that funny TV commercial--then don't bother hitching it up.

Where to drill... There's a cast-in hole in the front of the carb that only needs to be drilled. Use a tap drill for an 1/8 inch NPT, then tap it out. Easier to do than to describe!

Jeff"

Oh...I thought they were just

Oh...I thought they were just for emissions. Some marine AFB's I've seen have them and some don't.

All of them should since this

All of them should since this is a marine environment--much worse than in a car.

Jeff

"I need to replace Edelbrock a

"I need to replace Edelbrock auto carburetors with marine carburetors on a Trojan 34' houseboat with Chrysler 318's. How do I determine what carburetors I need? Another nearby boat with Chrysler M225 engines appears to have Carter carbs. Casting # is 946998, tag # 469981709."

You want the edelbrock model 1

You want the edelbrock model 1409 marine carb the 600.I got mine from jegs.com free 2 day shipping and best price I could find.

"Hey jeff,I got my carbs today

"Hey jeff,I got my carbs today and there is a hole in the casting on both sides of the carb.Can I use either one for the pcv?One has to be drilled from the bottom and is between the two idle screws the other has to be drilled from the side and is on the back side."

Either one will work. I used

Either one will work. I used the front one since that's where the hose was.

Jeff

"Hi guys,
I have been looking

"Hi guys,
I have been looking into switching my AFB's to edelbrock 1410 on my Chrysler 440's. This is what Edelbrock suggested about the PVC hook up.

"Neither of our marine carburetors have a PCV provision. Instead of drilling the carburetor, I’d rather see you use a spacer plate with vacuum provisions, such as the ones available from TransDapt, phone# 562-921-0404. Thanks."

Ray Garcia

Technical Department

Edelbrock Corporation

Edelbrock FREE Chrome Air-Cleaner Promotion:

Mar 15 - May 1, 2008...Click here for details!"

Forget about it! That spacer&#

Forget about it! That spacer's a pain to find and install--al of the studs need lengthening--and the linkage can get screwed up on you.

Thanks for nothing Edelbrock! What a load of manure that recommendation is--especially when you look at their own street carb version--it's drilled and tapped on both sides for a PVC and power brakes! Wow. And they can't do that for the marine carbs as well? Sheesh!

Somebody ougthe wake those people up out there on the "left coast".

Jeff

So what is that barbed tube ne

So what is that barbed tube near the fuel inlet? I assumed it was for the PCV connection.

(So what is that barbed tu

(So what is that barbed tube near the fuel inlet? I assumed it was for the PCV connection.)
It is for a fuel pump vent line.
I drilled mine today it was really easy.Just drill through the hole in the casting from the bottom into the hole in the casting from the front and tap the front hole to 1/8.Get a hose barb and thread it in.Hardest part was finding the hose barb most places didnt have the 1/8 thread with the 3/8 barb finally found one at west marine.

How foolish do I feel. I conne

How foolish do I feel. I connected it to the PCV valve. I will have to pull the carbs to make that change. What problems will I experience until I get that fixed?
Eddie

Back