Logo

1992 Mariner 25 horse 2 stroke help please

coachlaw

"I just picked this motor up c

"I just picked this motor up cheap. I'm hoping I can bring it back to life. It looks great, especially under the hood. It turns over easy. It has great spark as well. The compression test revealed 60psi, which sounds low to me. I don't have a manual, and I don't want to buy one if y'all don't think it sounds like I can fix this. It's a Tohatsu/Nissan made product I believe.

I pull and pull, trying various combinations of choke and throttle, but I can't get it to do any more than cough. I sprayed a fuel/oil mix into the cylinder and that doesn't do anything. I've never had a 1 cylinder not start doing this.

Anyone have any idea what I should try? Also if I should take this to the Nissan board, please let me know. Thanks! - Coach"

60 psi is low for a two stroke

60 psi is low for a two stroke. Remove the head and look at the bore and the head gasket. More like 110.

"Sounds like I'm in over m

"Sounds like I'm in over my head then. No pun intended. Looks like I need a manual. I can't imagine what could have been done to this motor to cause such a problem. It looks great outside and in. I recently sold a 1981 Evinrude 4.5 horse I used for 26years. It ran the same the day I sold it as when I bought it, but it was not pretty to look at on the outside."

Back