Logo

1992 Johnson V4 115 hp

"Chris, Morten's suggestio

"Chris, Morten's suggestion is sound. If you are looking for a Canadian place, check out www.canada-marine.com - they specialize in OMC powerheads and can sell you one completely redone for less than 2K.

Also have everything for the "do-it-yourselfer" should you need anything.

Having said all that, if you do choose to do it yourself, I'm positive that with a little patience you could do the rebuild yourself (save boring the new holes) for less than 1000 bucks..."

"Wow, that is a first. Someth

"Wow, that is a first. Something cheaper in Canada than in the States. I think you have found the right solution to my problem Graham.

Thanks
Chris"

"Hi again,

I just managed a

"Hi again,

I just managed after much wrestling to remove the powerhead from this unit unfortunately, 2 of the bolts were badly corroded and seized in place. When I pull the engine, it did not some off straight due the the amoutn of force used to pull it and the seized bolts, and I ended up breaking a chunk of the block off where the exhaust outlet is. Can this be welded back together, or is this a write off?

Thanks in advance
Chris

169301.jpg
"

"Here's a zoom out view of

"Here's a zoom out view of the bottom of the powerhead with the damaged part in the lower right of the photo.

169307.jpg
bottom of powerhead

"Read the whole thread, had th

"Read the whole thread, had the same issue with a 90hp. After looking at the pictures I would say that your piston scoring is from a bigger prblem with the connecting rod and bearing wich is allowing the piston to move side to side thus creating the scoring. The last picture of the damage, should tell you to take your time and not miss any more bolts. Of course if you get a rebuild that damage will be on the core.(might be slight charge when you turn it in)"

"Update: I have torn the moto

"Update: I have torn the motor apart and sent it to the machine shop for boring/honing and repair of the broken part of the block. Local shop is www.mongoosemachine.com, recommended to me by the local OMC dealer. Also buying wiseco pistons from them. To weld the broken bit he is charging me $200. Total bill will probably be about $1000. Just need to buy gaskets and goop and bolt it all back together.

Thanks all for the advice so far. ikia, if you can post me your technique for aligning the end caps would be much appreciated. I have been practicing putting them together off the crank pin, and it seems pretty challenging. Would a clamp of some sort be a good way to get them aligned? Or is it best to just put pressure on the side of the joint that is high and trial and error. One thing I notice is sometimes one side can be aligned while the other side is not, implying that I need to compress or expand the cap a few thou in order to align both sides. Is this normal, or should that rod be replaced?

Thanks again
Chris"

"did you have the crankshaft c

"did you have the crankshaft checked. i've been rebiulding motors for twenty years, the rod and rod caps are precision machined and should fit exactly together. if you have a bent rod it might last a day, a week or about one minute. do yourself a favor and get crankshaft mic'd. could save you alot in the long run. i agree with morton you should of got a rebuilt powerhead, most come with new pistons ,rings, and bearings, and a good shop also checks the crank."

"Thanks for the excellent sugg

"Thanks for the excellent suggestion wezel. I have briefly checked over the crankshaft according to the seloc manual. The crankpins all appear nice and smooth with no washboard or heat discoloration. I checked them with a vernier caliper, and they are all the right diameter according to the spec in the seloc manual. What other checks might I do? I have not pulled off the main journal bearing or either of the end bearings yet, but probably should right? What should I be looking for? What would a pro look at? I will bring it into the machine shop and have them look it over too in case I miss something.

The end bearings sound like a bit of a chore to re-assemble. Can I inspect them without tearing them apart?

Thanks
Chris"

"The centre main bearing is de

"The centre main bearing is dead simple to check---just remove the spring retainer.The bottom bearing is also easy to check / replace and the housing MUST be removed to check the bottom crankshaft seal.Remove the 4 bolts ,pour boiling water on the housing and it slides off the bearing.The upper bearing rarely causes trouble."

Back