Logo

Suzuki 85HP help needed please

"no, you need to test it
it w

"no, you need to test it
it will pump a certain amount on idle and wot
lineing up marks is just to start u right"

"I bought a compression tester

"I bought a compression tester, it's in the post - so I can chek that but it is far too noisy where I live to start the motor all of the time to test the sparks etc.

I will probably have to pay for someone to do it for me

I appreciate all of your help guys!"

"If its noisy where you live,

"If its noisy where you live, then surely nobody will notice your outboard??? I hold a bucket over the prop to reduce noise.

Try the basic spark test, fuel disconnected, plugs not in heads but in plug caps and earthed on head, crank it over in the dark with old plugs and then the new ones, any not sparking???if one is not then you swap the plugs, did the missing spark move with the plug or stay where it was? If the plug is not at fault,swap the plug caps and see if the missing spark moves.

If the missing spark stays on the same cyl then swap the coils and see if it moves.

The above will cost you nothing to do and will keep you busy while waiting for the compression tester it will at least tell you if you have a missing spark and you just didn't notice it is running one cyl down....it can happen you know!

Good luck and keep us posted."

"Hi Andy, I meant it is far to

"Hi Andy, I meant it is far to noisy for where I live, sorry!

I just tried the spark test and found it difficult to rest the plug on an earth with the short leads and then go to the end of the boat and turn it over - it fell off the earth everytime - is there a trick to this simple test?

The motor also appears to be painted or have a clear coat on it making it hard to earth anyway?"

"You can tape or cable tie the

"You can tape or cable tie the plugs to the head, usually if you twist the plug under the lead it will hang against the head.

Best way is to get someone to hold the plug cap but I would recommend they stand on some wood or rubber as you can get a hefty belt.

A bit of ingenuity (enginuity??) will get you through this one, tie them on with string if you have to.......

If the clear coat ir really thick you can sandpaper a small area to improve the earth."

Back