Logo

Jumping Out of Gear

emoryjr

"I received some help on a bro

"I received some help on a broken part recently on this board and I followed the advice provided to me. Now when at planing speed my motor jumps out of forward. Can anyone tell me what is the problem based upon the original problem and subsequent advice I followed and picture (listed below). Thanks in advance.

ORIGINAL ISSUE:
I recently purchased a 1982 Evinrude 9.9. It runs fine but recently became stuck in forward and I was unable to crank it. In trying to force it out of forward I broke a piece of the black plastic that the brass arm from the gear shift is attached to. I have been able to free it from Forward and crank it. It runs and shifts fine. I do not know what piece it is that I broke off and what function is plays with the engine. I have inserted a picture of it (the piece with the large brass hex bolt and the brass arm from the shifter can be seen laying below). Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

ADVISE PROVIDED THAT I FOLLOWED:
Morten Ringvold
Username: haffiman37

Post Number: 2607

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 07:53 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The big black plastic piece is to limit throttle when in neutral. (blocks travel of armature plate). I would have removed it all, plastic and link to throttle.
150697.jpg
"

"i would bet on a fork and/or

"i would bet on a fork and/or cradle prob,after your other shifting prob's....ck that both shifting rods,are properly inserted in the brass conn.The prob u r describing,is also very common,when the forward gear and/or the clutch dog is worn out.Dont even think about going in this unit,w/out a factory- service manual!."

"So, do you think that followi

"So, do you think that following that other advice of removing the throttle limit and plastic link is not the cause? Thanks."

"the black plastic doohickey,a

"the black plastic doohickey,also helps keep it in gear...see the silver spring steel arm...i would remove it too,xcept i have seen this prob,due to the silver arm being broken..so,i would say it does need it."

"If the spring is wrongly adju

"If the spring is wrongly adjusted compared to the dents in the clutch dog in the gear-case, sometimes it might lead to the gears/clutch dog not engaging properly. With the gears/clutch dog in proper condition there should be no need for the plastic and spring. If dog/gear worn, the detent spring might help in keeping the gears engaged, for some time. I used to remove the plastic cam when spring or link to shift handle broke without problems, but one never knows. Whatever You do, if replacing the link and re-installing the cam, grind it down on top so it does not block the ignition armature plate. If for some reason the engine stops at more than idle throttle in gear, You may not be able to shift into neutral and then reduce throttle before restart' You have to first reduce throttle and then shift into neutral. If not, You will most likely break the link system again."

"In other words, I need a new

"In other words, I need a new clutch dog installed? Is this correct? Any idea of the cost and complexity?"

Back