Logo

1997 Force 90 HP Outboard

eddo

"The stator in my 1997 90 HP F

"The stator in my 1997 90 HP Force outboard was replaced last year. When I exceed about 1,000 rpms, the voltmeter on my dash pegs. Could this be the voltage regulator? If so, can I replace it with either the one manufactured by CDI or by Mallory?
Thanks,
Ed"

"Ed yes, probably the voltage

"Ed yes, probably the voltage regulator and don't know about the Mallory, but the CDI stuff is compatable, works well and is cheaper than buying from Merc..."

What is the fuel mixture for a

What is the fuel mixture for a 1998 bass tracker force 90 elpto motor?

"Stacy, in the ELPTO descripti

"Stacy, in the ELPTO description of your model, the "O" stands for "oil injection", so unless it was removed you should have an oil tank under the hood and the motor will run on straight gas.

If the injection has been removed, you mix at 50:1"

"None of the Force outboards w

"None of the Force outboards were oil injected, except for sportjets. The correct mixture is 50:1"

"My 1997 Force 90hp outboard s

"My 1997 Force 90hp outboard started making clicking sounds in forward gear, then started vibrating pretty strongly, while trying to get back to shore it suddenly sounded as if something "slipped" in the engine and the engine's pitch (sound) went up. Still starts but am afraid to use it until I know what happened. Any suggestions?"

"Tim, sounds like you chewed u

"Tim, sounds like you chewed up your gears (either drive or pinion). Drain the lower unit and look for bits of metal.

In any event it sounds like a disassembly of your lower unit is in your future...."

"Thank you for responding.

"Thank you for responding.

Any suggestions on where to get new gears on-line. I am pretty mechanical (auto) and would like to try myself instead on buying rebuilt ($1,500). Any help is appreciated."

"I would check Ebay first - ge

"I would check Ebay first - get alot of "new" stock there cheaper than the dealer. If worse comes to worse for finding parts, your model is new enough that any Merc dealear probably stocks the parts (once you determine what is wrong).

A Seloc's manual will give you all the step-by-step instructions, with pictures and tips for doing a rebuild (if that's what's required)..."

how do I check a votage regula

how do I check a votage regulator on a 40 H.P. force?

"getting back to the first pos

"getting back to the first posting, doesnt the motor have a rectifier, not a regulator like cars have.my voltage seems to be hi as well at wot, but battery seems to keep charge. This is after I replaced a bad rectifier last season. If the boat runs, and you didnt fry any components or wires I wouldnt sweat it.Good luck

and the manual describes how to test the rectifier"

i just got a new 17' bass

i just got a new 17' bass boat with a chrysler 90hp motor on it my grand father says it runs but the engiene is to big for the boat and it has been sitting for five years i wanted to ask if i have to have it in the water to crank it and if it runs how much i could sell it for

"James, a motor that has been

"James, a motor that has been sitting for 5 years should not be started until it has had waterpump service done, new gear oil in the lower unit at minimum. And then it will only start if the carbs are not gummed on you from sitting.

It has to be in water (or on a flushing device or in a tank) whenever it's running or you will fry the motor.

Chrysler is long out of business now and parts can be difficult to locate - plus you may never be able to find a dealer that would work on it. All that translates into low value. In it's current state it's worth a couple hundred bucks to someone looking for parts, even running I think you would be extremely lucky to get 500 bucks for the motor...."

Back