Logo

1988 90 hp question

rlpruitt

"i just bought a used pontoon

"i just bought a used pontoon and motor combo. charged battery before going to lake. cranked fine and ran fine pulling kids on tubes for about 1 hour. all of a sudden felt like power dropped to about 75% rpm dropped from about 5200 to 4000. stopped boat and loaded kids. checked fuel, seemed okay. hard to crank. like battery low. cranked and ran again at lower rpm back to landing. got trailer and starter turned but would not engage flywheel. got home and ordered manual. volt meter on boat was not hooked up so i do not know if charging system is working yet. snybody seen this and have a starting point i am an electrician but am waiting on manual to know how to correctly check system.

thanks in advance"

"I'd put a battery charger

"I'd put a battery charger on battery to see if it is dead. If so, I'd check the voltage regulator (rectifier) to see if it's shorted & stator charge coil to see if it is good."

after posting i got the manual

after posting i got the manual and found the rectifier is bad and battery is weak at only 10 volts after a full charge.

thanks for your time and information

"Sounds like it's time for

"Sounds like it's time for a new battery and a rectifier. Make sure you don't cross anything and cause a spark, thus blowing a new rectifier. Good Luck
biggrin.gif
"

Also dont ever run the engine

Also dont ever run the engine and disconnect the battery whilst it is running you will fry the rectifier in no time.!! Been there GRRRR!!!

thanks for all the info. one m

thanks for all the info. one more ? this is a tracker party barge. on the instrument panel the voltage meter is just below the rpm guage. it is not hooked up. there are 4 terminals on the volt meter one is ground one is L for light. one is and one is there are three wires on the rpm guage that have pigtails that look like they would reach to the volt meter. can anyone supply a wiring diagram or explanation to connect the volt meter properly.
thanks

Back