Logo

1408430 1978 140 Evinrude Water pump Query

kiwi_dave

Contributing Member
"Goodmorning, I have a couple

"Goodmorning, I have a couple of queries re the above.
I have just replaced the water pump on my motor, but have found a few things differ from what my Seloc Manual shows, what the diagrams with the water pump show, and the old unit that was removed.
1) I purchased a complete kit but found the impellar had a different drve shaft key, I needed the plastic half moon/cylindrical type. Swapped impellars with the dealer, same key required as Drve shaft, however also recd a small partial disc, like 1/3rd of a ten cent piece ?. is this installed WITH the plastic half cylinder key?, or is it another version for another type of shaft ?. No instructions with part.
2) built new pump (as per instructions) but with 2nd impellar, recd an extra "O" ring (similar to the the one that fits at the top of the drive shaft), however the diagram in the new impellar pkt, shows the installation of an o ring beneath the impellar, sitting on the base plate, with a great big arrow pointing to it, which I took for " remember to install this !" is this correct ?, will it affect the running of the pump/motor.
3) re installed lower unit,slightly tightened bolts and ran motor. strong flow from pee hose, but found water gushing from between lower unit and leg. Would this be normal?. I understand that I have not tightened bolts, but should there still be that much water inside the lower unit cavity ? or is it because Ive done something wrong.
4) do I seal the lower unit to leg with some kind of sealler ???
5) what are the torque settings for the bolts that attach the lower unit to the leg. I have 2 different types 2x 9/16 and another 2x which are slightly smaller, If I remember, metric version of 9/16. Book does not advise sizes.
Thanks Davo"

It is not an extra O-ring--- y

It is not an extra O-ring--- you install it as per the instructions ( below the impeller ). If you look closely at the bits you will realize the with the new key you must have a different way to seal the bottom of the impeller.Follow your detailed instructions.

"The "O" Ring just und

"The "O" Ring just under the impeller depends on the impeller you use. If there is a groove on the bottom of the impeller to accept that "O" Ring, then of course use it. If no groove, do not use the "O" Ring as that would exert too much pressure on the impeller plate.

It would appear that you purchased a water pump to a later model engine that incorporates a driveshaft with a flat area instead of having the slot that accepts the steel woodruff key.

The original water pump kit part number for the 1978 V4 was 389158 and has been superseded up to part number 395073 which should have been what you received. However, having the later model kit presents no problem as long as the proper impeller and drive key is used."

Back