Logo

Mariner 60HP outboard 1985 3 Cylinder Starting problems

mctaggart

"Hi Guys

Further to my prev

"Hi Guys

Further to my previous post on dewinterising my engine, i am having problems starting the it.

I bought the boat for this comming summer and it has been my first attempt to start it, since pulling it out of the garage.

Engine turns over fine and although it took alot of priming with the fuel bulb before the engine would start to catch, it did finally start but died within about 8 secconds, i know 2 strokes, especially old engine 2 strokes can be a bitch to start when cold.

Repeated attempts to start it would either fail straight away with the engine kicking over and then dieing, or it would idle very roughly for about 5 secs then die.

Tryed giving it some throttle which did work to a degree to maintain the revs, but it eventually stalls again. The engine sounded like it was being choked with to much fuel or air, which from previous experience is correct when its not burning properly in the cylinders, used to do this on my motorbike 2 stroke if you tryed giving to much throttle with a fresh cold engine, would just bog down.

Checked all the plugs and im getting a good spark from all 3, fuel lines are clear also. I have worked with 2 strokes for years on motorbikes so i know then engines makeup are pritty much the same.

Where is the airtake/filter on these Mariner engines, i couldnt see where it was drawing the air in from.

I have a good spark and good fuel so i am looking for the air
i.e the old fire triangle lol!

I am just hoping that its nothing more serious, i have a compression tester somewhere which i will use next, does anyone know what readings i should get for a 1985 60 HP Mariner?

Any help would be very greatful, its quite disapointing not getting it to work!

Thanks

Craig"

"The intake should be in the f

"The intake should be in the front of the engine usually has a black cover, unsure of what color yours is, but the intake is infront of the carbs. Not sure what the compression is for them though. Another thing you made need to rebuild the carbs. Jets may be clogged. If you can get some what they call sea foam can get at any auto parts store. Cylindrical bottle with white can red lettering. Used it in my carbs and cleaned them right up. Just a suggestion."

Back