Logo

Perkins 65 hp circa 1960bs

philgood

I have recently bought a 6.5 h

I have recently bought a 6.5 hp perkins outboard and need to know several things.
1. what is the fuel/2stroke mix
2. what spark plugs do i need.
3. Does anyone have any maintenance manuals.
4. Does it need any modification to run on unleaded fuel.

"Phil, I have some very limite

"Phil, I have some very limited info on Perkins gas outboards.

Here's what I can give you on your model -

gas/oil 16:1 and since your motor is water cooled, TCW-3 marine oil would be in order.

The original plugs were Champion J8J gapped at .028 - just have to cross ref to a modern plug.

The carb should be a Tillotson with adjustable jets. There is a slight chance that a Merc dealer would have carb parts - they installed these carbs on Mercs for years before Tillotson got out of the carb business - Merc continued to use the carbs on Force motors until they ran out of stock.

The unleaded shouldn't hurt, but the fuel with methanol/ethanol or alcohol is very hard on old gas lines. You might want to replace any original internal gas lines between the carb/fuel pump/filters etc. Any automotive place can hook you up with a couple feet of gas line that won't deteriorate with "new" gas...

Sorry, have no idea where you might find a manual at all...."

"I have one of these engines t

"I have one of these engines too mine runs but parts are unavailable...I have remanufactured my parts, Gaskets etc... The spark plug and condencer are from a petrol lawnmower but they work...16:1 is a good figure and as for modern fuel mine runs fine on unleaded...Sorry no manual but if i find one ill post a link here. Good Luck."

"Phil,

I'm a mite tardy

"Phil,

I'm a mite tardy in replying but I likely can give you most any information you need on that motor and can supply most any parts, many NOS. E-mail me with any questions. Same goes for anyone else who may have questions/needs regarding any Oliver or Oliver related Perkins, Rootes, Anzani or Wizard outboards."

"Thanks to all who have replie

"Thanks to all who have replied with info on Perkins outboard. First task is to renovate 60's grp cruiser. Doesn't seem to have a very thick gel coat after removing several layers of paint. what is the best way to recondition gel coat? I realise this question probably has a zillion different remedies, but I'm open to your advise."

"Hay Dick,

Do you do a full

"Hay Dick,

Do you do a full service pack for this engine and if so what does it cost?

Best regards,
Shaun."

I don't do any service wor

I don't do any service work for others. Simply make parts available and am always happy to assist with any service or parts type questions if I can.

Back