Logo

2008 Mercury 115 ELPT EFI 4Stroke

broh

I'm looking at buying a ne

I'm looking at buying a new 19' aluminum boat. Not sure yet of manufacturer. Is the Mercury 115 ELPT EFI 4-Stroke engine a good one? Anybody had problems with them?

Thanks
Brent

"You talking about a brand new

"You talking about a brand new motor as well? The new Merc's are a decent motor, but like any 4 stroke they require very vigilant maintenance - you can't treat them like an old 2 stroke and have them keep running for you.

If you are buying new, personally would look into a 115 Optimax - less maintenance, better kick/top end speed and fuel economy than even the 115 4 stroke - and just as quiet/environmentally friendly..."

"Hmmm, a 115 though on a 19 fo

"Hmmm, a 115 though on a 19 footer sounds like a recipe for disappointment - just off the top of my head sounds like very close to being "underpowered"...."

"Depending on what it is rated

"Depending on what it is rated for - a 19 foot aluminum could still be pushing 1200 pounds of hull weight, add 400 pounds of motor, a couple of batteries, 30 gals of fuel and 4 fishing buddies the 115 might be a little underpowered..."

It's brand new. The hull

It's brand new. The hull is a Legend it weighs 1390lbs. I was thinking the 115 4 stroke at the advice of the dealer. He's convinced the 115 is plenty of power and the 4 stroke is the way to go. He says the top speed with this engine is about 45 miles/hr. If it's true that should be plenty - Shouldn't it?

Brent

"Brent, I think 45 mph is pret

"Brent, I think 45 mph is pretty optimistic for that set-up. The boat weighs 1390 dry, add 400 pounds for the engine, even 20 gals of gas (120 lbs), a battery or two (100 pounds maybe), another 100 for various gear (anchor, ropes, junk etc) and you are looking at closer to 2100 pounds before you step on board.

The 115 would probably put you in the high 30's, which is decent enough unless you are into speed. And besides the Legend hulls won't go much over 40 regardless of what you hang on the back.

I am very fond of the Legend boats - well put together - the hulls are made by Smokercraft/Starcraft and then rigged up near Sudbury Ontario at the Legend factory.

Personally though I would still prefer the Optimax over the 4 stroke, just for the difference in maintenance, not to mention that every test out there shows better fuel economy, torque and top end speed from the Opti's compared Merc's 4 strokes - and if you check it out it would come in about 1500 bucks less on the engine upgrade - which would leave you the money to buy the extended warranty on the motor, really getting a good deal - our boating season up here is short, you don't want to have your motor in twice during the summer for scheduled maintenance.....

However, just my two cents..."

"Graham, thanks for the input

"Graham, thanks for the input! I'm going to look at the 2 stroke a little closer."

You need to have 80% of the ma

You need to have 80% of the max that the boat was rated for. Maybe a 135 would do it solid. This is a bass boat right? Most are rated over 150 HP.

"Ya Bandit, that's what I

"Ya Bandit, that's what I was thinking of during my initial responses. Seen some test numbers for this model with a 150 on it (the max) and quite impressive - top end at 46 mph.

Would expect the 115 to push her in the high 30's with the 135 taking it just over that 40mph mark which is close to max on that particular hull.

However, going from the 115 to the 135 on the particular package he is talking about would add over 4 grand to the price..."

"That $4K is exactly why I was

"That $4K is exactly why I was thinking of the 115. It seems to be the best motor for that boat at the price. I'm going to buy the boat with the 115 4 stroke if the dealer will let me take it out for the weekend, with the option to switch to the 2 stroke if I'm not happy with the 4."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
stop.gif
Sea trial this boat before you buy anything. I understand the $4K difference but you may end up hating this boat. Better to make a $4k upgrade now than a $15K one to upgrade later."

"Took the boat out on the week

"Took the boat out on the weekend with the 115 EFI 4 stroke. 3 people and full fuel tank. Top speed was 44MPH, plenty of bottom end and lots of power right through to top speed. Loved it, it'll be everything I need."

"I just bought the 08 Merc 115

"I just bought the 08 Merc 115 EFI. MUCH better motor than the Optimax, IMO. I've owned the Optis,nothing much trouble. I don't need a higher the higher top end, I prefer quiet, clean, and dependable...all of which the Optimax isn't.

To those who say you need to be within 75-80% of max power, I say BUNK. For an 18' foot Aluminum boat your size (and mine) the 115 is PLENTY."

I run the boat every weekend o

I run the boat every weekend out my Island cottage loaded with people and supplies. It has plenty of power and gets up plane real nice especially since I put a Hydrofoil on it. The hydrofoil wasn't necessary but I a few slow zones to contend with so it's just nicer to have.

Back