Logo

5hp Mercury will she go faster

david_sims

"Greetings,

I have a reg sh

"Greetings,

I have a reg shaft 5 hp 2 stroke and I need (ok want) to go faster. Motor starts/runs good. Checked cold the compression is 110. Propeller is stock.

It pushes a Coleman Scanoe (rated for 5 hp max)up the Flint River and on Lake Hartwell in Georgia. Boat is about 115 lbs, I'm 160 lbs my son 100 lbs and 25 lbs of gear, say about 400 lbs total.

What are my options to make this motor faster?

Many thanks in advance,

David"

"Sell it and buy something big

"Sell it and buy something bigger. Sorry, it's a small motor - single cylinder and you have it pushing 400 lbs. It was meant to be a trolling motor, but can't imagine that it is really running that slow - but of course that is just a matter of perspective.

I have an 15' coleman canoe, with two adult males in it my little twin cylinder 2.5 horse Evinrude (mounted out the side) will push it along at a pretty good clip - in fact, it will push my 14 foot aluminum, full console, fishing boat (about 900 lbs all in) at about 6 mph when I use it as a kicker.

If you are looking for "SPEED" you need a new rig...."

"I have just gone thru a simil

"I have just gone thru a similar situation with my 3m Tinnie im restricted to a 6hp for another year ,Graham is right and previously provided me with helpful information here is some testing results ive just completed with my boat.
4hp 23kmh
6hp 31kmh
15hp 47kmh with Solas prop 9.5 inch 49kmh
15hp with 6hp restrictor kit 36kmh
All were Mercury bagded motors and testing conducted one up with 70kg driver"

"Galamb,

Thanks for your r

"Galamb,

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to make the best of it with this rig, it's a keeper. I was hoping for a jet mod, oversize piston, or prop solution. Thanks for saving me the time and expense.

Olmo40, Interesting stats, especially the speed difference between 4 and 6 hp.

Thanks again,

David"

Back