Logo

Changing lower unit oil on a 275

T

tim the toolman

Hoping someone can give me a q

Hoping someone can give me a quick overview on changing the oil on the outdrive. I have already drained it and it looked like it wasnt changed in years. Well anyways Do i fill from the dipstick or where shall i fill it from also in the manual it speaks of a vent but i was unable to find any all i found was the drain plug and then the dipstick at the top. also what would recommend for replacement oil?

i was going to use lower gear

i was going to use lower gear oil is that ok

"Hey El , I filled my out driv

"Hey El , I filled my out drive through plug # 8 useing the dipstick for vent . Will that work ?"

"Sure, as long as you get the

"Sure, as long as you get the correct level (but I'm sure it took a lot of time to fill it through that little hole, eh?
wink.gif
)"

"Tim, you want to use the same

"Tim, you want to use the same kind of oil you use in your engine (eg. straight 30W, 10-30W or 15-40W)"

"El , I was filling it through

"El , I was filling it through the dipstick hole with the #8 plug out which seems to be a vent and found out that it would go in that hole faster . But I think I got it too full , think I will let some out till I get it right on the dipstick . Thanks"

is there a problem using lower

is there a problem using lower gear oil? with a hi visocsity? Why use standard motor oil?

"Tim, you must use engine oil

"Tim, you must use engine oil because Volvo Penta tells you to use engine oil. I know this may sound strange when you think that most outboards and outdrives use gear oil. However, believe it or not, regular engine oil is the type of oil that your outdrive is designed to use. Please take the time to read the owner's engine/outdrive manual; and if you don't have one, you can download it from here.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/engines/out_ of_production_engines/out_of_production_engines.htm"

"The specs for 'engine oil

"The specs for 'engine oil' was originally made as 'convenient', one type of oil all over. I always used Hi-Vis and later Ultra HPF from OMC in the Volvo drives. In the DP's Volvo recommend their 'own' GL-5 semi synthetic gear oil (Made by Mobil). Using 10W-30 might be too thin and make the drive shift 'hard'. Single grade 30W in cold water might make the cone slip/delay in shift."

"Greetings, Morten.

I recal

"Greetings, Morten.

I recall we have had this very same debate in the past more than once. Personally, I never had a problem using engine oil (either 10W-30, 10W-40 or 15W-40), and I also recall that some people have reported having problems (mostly shifting) for using gear oil in the old Aquamatic outdrives.

The big question is: if it ain't broke, why fix it? Volvo Penta's instructions (whether out of convenience or not) do clearly state that "engine oil" is the specification for the 275, and as far as I am concerned they are the father of the creature
biggrin.gif
. If despite VP specifications some people have their own ideas and decide to run gear oil, cooking oil or diet Coke in their outdrives, I guess they will do so anyway. But they will have to do it at their own risk.
wink.gif
"

I really appreciate the help.

I really appreciate the help. Just one more question if i did choice to put in a hi vis lower drive oil would that cause a problem?

"I believe I already answered

"I believe I already answered your question in my previous post.

If you want to see what has been debated here about this topic in the past, click on the "search" function on top of the page and search for posts containing the words <font color=""ff0000"">engine</font>, <font color=""ff0000"">gear</font> and <font color=""ff0000"">oil</font> in the Volvo Penta Gas Engines forum."

"Good morning, El.
I think in

"Good morning, El.
I think in basic we agree. Use whatever have been used and working!
However where I'm living they have changed from Diet Coke to Palm oil.
wink.gif

Back in Norway where some people where driving in down to 0C water temp in winter time, some drives got shifting trouble before it got properly warmed up. The Ultra HPF solved that problem."

Back