Logo

Stainless steel manifolds

"I'm really paranoid about

"I'm really paranoid about the cast iron manifolds fitted to my 4.3 V6 after reading so many horror stories about the damage they can cause when they fail. I am thinking of changing to one piece (no separate riser) Stainless steel manifolds made by a company in Victoria Australia. They have a five year warranty and they say they have had them on boats for over ten years with no problems. Although they are expensive $3800.00 AU$, Has anyone had any experience with these manifolds?"

"John:

Your concerns may be

"John:

Your concerns may be warranted to some extent if you are in salt water. For $3,880 AU you can buy a new longblock. Why not put the iron manifolds on a schedule for removal and inspection on a 1 yr. basis and replace as needed.

I was thinking about have a new set of mans. and risers sent to a "hot dip galvanizing" company. It would require some milling to restore the mating surfaces but may be the trick to longer life. I don't have a cost estimate for it. When I was working as a buyer I would have 1,000 8' sign posts made and hot dipped for the city sign dept. Galvanizing beat painting them regularly when there were 5,000 posts."

"Sorry that was a typo with th

"Sorry that was a typo with the price of the S/S manifolds should have been $2,800.00, still a lot of money. Not a bad idea about hot dip galvanizing new iron manifolds."

"I believe that Mercruiser ele

"I believe that Mercruiser electroplates the outside but not the inside of the mans. before painting as a remedial protective coating.

I assume you understand the difference between "hot dipped" and "electroplating"? You don't want the latter. Galvanizing will reduce the water passages by a few mils. and could actually plug some parts if not done properly; i.e., draining the liquid galv. in all directions IMMEDIATELY upon removal.

sun.gif
"

Back