Logo

LM318 Rebuild

agitator

Contributing Member
"Guys,
I'm rebuilding the

"Guys,
I'm rebuilding the 1971 LM318 in my Trojan F26.
I've got the engine out but have not started tearing it down yet. My question... are the standard automotive parts the same ie: Rings rod and main bearings, oil pump, etc. This is a reverse rotating engine. Thanks"

"Billy: Do yourself a HUGE fa

"Billy: Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a rebuilt long block from a reputable outfit. The parts and labor to do it yourself RIGHT will cost easily as much. Trust me on this. I've rebuilt engines for 50 years and, when my 360 blew up, I too got a long block. Hell, they're cheaper than Chevies!

Jeff"

"if you have the money, go wit

"if you have the money, go with jeff's idea, but i just rebuilt my 69' lm 318 in the garage for $300. that includes a valve job. if you are going to do it yourself, i would really suggest buying a book called "how to rebuilt small block mopars." you can find it at amazon.com, it really helped my out. i also got a cheap rebuild kit from percitionengine.com"

".."Got a reputable place

".."Got a reputable place to get one?"

Here's where I got mine:

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/

Very satisfied with it.

Jeff

PS: If you rebuild it yourself for "$300" you have worn cylinder bores that will burn oil. A long block has bored out, straight bores and oversize pistons--much better. Also, you get all new valves and springs--reducing the chance of dropping a valve--and new cam, lifters, etc. A good deal."

Back