Logo

125 force compression

eddsull3

hey guy's top cycl has 115

hey guy's top cycl has 115 next down 50 next down 130 next down 130 #2 50 even wet test with light oil anybody run across a valve sticking open if not properly put away for winter also looking at back of motor noticed a panel length
of motor can i gain access to valve springs ect. here i know i got to get a manual but in the meanwhile any thoughts

"125 force should be a two-str

"125 force should be a two-stroke and has no valves or springs. Probably rings are shot or maybe head gasket. The panel you refer to gives access to the water jackets on top of the combustion chambers.

Manuals available on Amazon.com from 20 bucks upwards but I suspect you in for a rebuild.

You can spray some release oil (WD40 etc) into the low compression bores and leave for a few days, you can then start it up and see if it frees the rings but its a very long shot. Headgaskets can go on these motors....time to start chatting up a few outboard mechanics or get the spanners out yourself."

Pull the cylinder head for ins

Pull the cylinder head for inspection --- then likely you need to pull out your wallet for parts or an other motor.--------- valves causing this problem??? no not a chance.

"both are correct, no valves s

"both are correct, no valves so no valves to be sticking.

pull the head and inspect the gasket, especially around the cylinders in question, also look down the questionable cylinders, turn flywheel clockwise until the piston is all the way down and inspect the cylinder walls for scoring. If gasket is fine, and no scoring on the cylinder walls, it is possible to pull the pistons out without full dismantle, not fun, but possible. If there is scoring, you will have to dismantle and resurface the damage out."

"Blown head gackets are common

"Blown head gackets are common. They do not like high heat.If that is the case, than rebuild the water pump."

Anybody know how to replace a

Anybody know how to replace a piston on a 125 force 1989? I have 1 dead cylinder. do I have to remove the power head & split the case?

"you can actually replace a pi

"you can actually replace a piston while the powerhead is still on the boat, pull the head off, remove the carbs, reed block/reeds and you can then access the bolts on the bottom of the connecting rod, remove the bolts and then push the piston out the top. be sure to get all the needle bearings out that go around the crankshaft. Use lots of needle bearing installation grease when you put them back together, helps them stay stuck while you are sliding the new piston in. It's kind of a pain, but it does beat a full tear down.

If you have any cylinder damage, you will have to do a full teardown and have the block machined."

Thanks Brian. Sounds like you

Thanks Brian. Sounds like you "been there done that" Every shop around here tells me to just throw it away & get a yam or merk. maybe I can get a couple more years out of it.

"Yep, been there done that. I

"Yep, been there done that. I did a full tear down to replace 2 pistons and had block machined. I have never done it before that, took lots of pictures as I was tearing it down, it went back together like a 1st grade puzzle and has been running great ever since.

It's not worth paying a shop to repair this motor, but if you can do it yourself, it's definately worth it. If there is no cylinder damage and all you need to do is replace 1 piston, it should be less than 150 to do yourself, 100 for piston + misc gaskets."

Back