Logo

Rebuilding my aq130

crabbie72

"I tore down one of my aq130c&

"I tore down one of my aq130c's because of compression loss in one cylinder. It turns out one of the rod bearings was gone (or at least ground up into little bits). I took the head and crankshaft/pistons to the machine shop. It looks like I will get away with new seats, a new rod and bearing and a little crankshaft work.

Its been a real lesson tearing apart the engine, hopefully putting it together wont be too eventfull. I have never done any engine work before, but its pretty straightforward.

It looks like the engine was blue at one time. Does anyone know what the orig color was (1969)? I like the blue color but my other engine is red, I may redo that one next winter. I asked my wife and she said noone sees it, what difference does it make? Women, they don't understand the importance of such things as boats and motors.

One other question, the oil pan is indented at each of the bolt holes (from tightening). Is this a problem or will the gasket seal this. I lost oil in the engine with little use. And is the oil pan from the auto engine the same?
thanks,
Dave
150194.jpg
bearing shrapnel"">
150195.jpg
before removal

"You can try to flatten out th

"You can try to flatten out the indentations with a ball peen hammer and a piece of flat stock, just go easy. Most oil pan gaskets are cork, considerably thick and forgiving. I always use a SMALL amount of gasket material between the gasket and the pan. This helps hold it in place during installation and ensures a nice seal.

Automotive pans from the same engine will fit, but most marine pans are chrome to resist corrosion. Having to pull an engine to replace a rusted pan is annoying. Running an engine dry of oil due to a hole in a rusted oil pan is more annoying. I'd pay the extra amount if the original pan is chrome. If they don't make a chrome pan for your engine, go crazy with the red, err blue rattle can! Good luck."

"Thanks Mike. This engine ran

"Thanks Mike. This engine ran dry. upon further inspection I found a small pinhole in the bottom of the oil pan. the previous owner had epoxied a piece of metal to the outside to seal it. Great idea, it only cost me a bearing, rod and complete engine overhaul."

Back