Logo

Lower unit and shaft 1978 Chrysler 85 HP

n6hgg

"My 1978 85 hp Chrysler lower

"My 1978 85 hp Chrysler lower unit driveshaft upper drive splines are almost stripped out. I am scrounging looking for a lower unit for a shaft or to just replace the whole lower unit with a better shaft than mine. I'm looking at several units parted out of blown engines.

Question: Will an 85HP Force (unknown year) lower unit and shaft fit in my 1978 85 hp Chrysler? Maybe tough to tell since Force engines are a hodgepodge of whatever. My 85 Chrysler info is listed below along with my 75 Chrysler info.

2nd question; will a 1984 90 hp Chrysler Force lower unit fit on my 1978 85 hp Chrysler?

3rd question; will the 85 hp lower unit from my 1978 Chrysler 85hp (listed below) fit in the 75 hp Chrysler listed below?

Here are my two engines:
85 Horsepower
Model 857H8F
S/N 2572
Year 1978

75 Horsepower
Model 757HB
S/N 18060
Year 1975

Thanks, Bob Reed
http://pages.suddenlink.net/reed"

"Robert, my eyes are blurry fr

"Robert, my eyes are blurry from looking at all your numbers

But, it looks like the 1984 90 horse used the exact same gearcase as your 85 horse motor (must have had a pile of them).

75's from your vintage won't work - they shared their lower unit with the 90 horses of the same day."

Sorry could have added that th

Sorry could have added that the part number for your lower unit is 1600-819196A3 (formerly FC 498054) - the same as the 1984 Chrysler/Force...

"Thanks Graham,
Yea, too many

"Thanks Graham,
Yea, too many numbers. It's a different kind of boating when scrounging around for 35 year old parts, but it's fun because a lot of this stuff is still good and cheap. Once a good combination of stuff is put together, it can last for years. My 75 is young with about 50 hours total time, so my hope is to make it last awhile. Like you said somewhere, any outboard can a good one no matter who made it. Personally, I think it might be better to limit this thing to 4500 rpm to help it last awhile.

Thanks for the help.

Bob"

"Lot's of life - my younge

"Lot's of life - my youngest motor (91 mariner) has over 2000 hours on it - so you should have a few left
"

Back